Tastings For Birthday Cakes?????

Business By cakelady2266 Updated 16 Jan 2011 , 1:49am by tryingcake

cakelady2266 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 21

Okay, I understand tastings for wedding cakes, anniversaries or events where you are having a large cake. Customers will be spending a lot of money on these cakes. But do you do tastings for someone who wants a 25 person birthday cake for a 1 year old? She wants to try about 3 or 4 flavors. Should I charge for this? Or tell her I only do tastings for large events? This is new one on me.

20 replies
Stephy42088 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 21

In this case I usually ask people what their budget is upfront because I only do tastings/consultations for cake orders over $100 (althought I might change that to $150 or $200) because it is most time and cost effective for both of us. If they has a budget over $100 then I meet with them and all is fine and dandy. HTH
icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 21

I would use the opportunity to sell them some cupcakes (subject to your minimum order of course) instead of having a full-fledged tasting.

We often get requests for tastings, even for small orders, as many of our customers have never had the type of cake we make. We freeze cupcakes using leftover batter from other orders so I offer these customers a 6-pack of cupcakes if we have the requested flavor in stock, otherwise they can order a dozen cupcakes per flavor (our minimum order).

1234me Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 21

I have stated on my website that I only offer tasting for orders that serve 100 people or more. I am so glad I added that! I agree with the above, you might offer to sell them cupcakes and they can taste them that way. They have to be understanding about that - if not, you don't want them as customers anyway!

leily Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234me

I have stated on my website that I only offer tasting for orders that serve 100 people or more. I am so glad I added that! I agree with the above, you might offer to sell them cupcakes and they can taste them that way. They have to be understanding about that - if not, you don't want them as customers anyway!

same here, even if a wedding cake is less than 100 servings they don't get a tasting. They can purchase cupcakes.

Now if they want to purchase 3 or more flavors of cupcakes they are going to have to order one dozen in each flavor since i have a minimum order of 1 dozen cupcakes (per flavor) So don't let her tell you she wants 2 of this flavor 3 of this flavor 4 of this flavor and 3 of another flavor, you're still loosing money doing this unless you have a store front where you can sell the additional cupcakes out of a case.

playingwithsugar Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 21

leily, I love your policy.

And Stefy42088 - you definitely need to up your requirement, and not by dollars, but by servings.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

pinkpiggie78 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 21

Do you guys use this same policy for design consults as well?

bakencake Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 21

I bet these people watch the cake shows that show
Costumer comes in
Costumer tastes cake
Costumer sees awesome cake at end of show.

Unfortunately these shows dont show that in order for Buddy to just see you you have to pay at least $1000 plus. They think that this is a standard practice in all bakeries.

I would tell them something like -I only do cake tastings with orders of a minimum of 100 servings (or what ever you feel comfortable)- or I only do free cake tastings with a minimum of 100 serving. I charge X amount for any cake tastings. only 2 flavor cakes and 2 flavor frosting (or what ever you are comfortable) for X amount of money.

Most people dont know how much time money and energy goes into a cake. all the info they get is from shows that show just as much drama as caking.

Annabakescakes Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 12:42am
post #9 of 21

A tasting for 25 servings? THERE IS NO CAKING WAY!!!!!

cakelady2266 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 2:16am
post #10 of 21

I told her I only did free tastings for cakes over 100 servings. She still didn't get it, I told her I would have to charge her for the tasting. She ask me if that would be subtracted off the price of the cake she was purchasing. Seriously. Who needs to taste 3 or 4 flavors for a 25 person 1st birthday cake?

Annabakescakes Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 3:05am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

I told her I only did free tastings for cakes over 100 servings. She still didn't get it, I told her I would have to charge her for the tasting. She ask me if that would be subtracted off the price of the cake she was purchasing. Seriously. Who needs to taste 3 or 4 flavors for a 25 person 1st birthday cake?

I would tell her no, it is a 25 serving cake, if she wants to try flavors then she can buy cupcakes. It is a separate order and and really, the bes thing you can do is make her go away!

Kitagrl Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 3:18am
post #12 of 21

For a birthday or small event cake I tell them if they are truly concerned about tasting my cake, they can purchase an 8" round layer cake, homestyle iced...for $25.

A few have actually opted to do that. I guess they were really worried about the taste. Whatever. Its easy to bake up an 8" and fill and ice it with little swirls of icing and be done.

scp1127 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 3:56am
post #13 of 21

Buddy charges $100.00 for the consult and I have never seen him offer a tasting. He just asks what flavor they want.

Eisskween Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:07am
post #14 of 21

I don't do tastings under 100 servings, period. If you choose to do a tasting for them, make sure you charge for it. Ingredients, time, utilities, etc. are not free.

caymancake Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 4:40am
post #15 of 21

I have had customers do the same thing with me - order an 8 inch round but want a sample. I just politely tell them that I only offer tastings for weddings and other large orders and encourage them to order cupcakes, a 6 inch cake or one of my dessert cakes instead. Most people go ahead and order their cake anyway! Happy caking!

costumeczar Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 6:00pm
post #16 of 21

I don't do tastings for birthday cakes at all, just weddings.

AnotherCaker Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 7:06pm
post #17 of 21

I determine who gets tastings by the amount of $$ they're spending, not serving amounts. I have just as many event cakes that cost the same if not more than weddings. So, I determine it that way.

costumeczar Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 9:28pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-

I determine who gets tastings by the amount of $$ they're spending, not serving amounts. I have just as many event cakes that cost the same if not more than weddings. So, I determine it that way.

Good point. I don't do many birthday cakes, so when they do call for them they're more likely to be a former wedding client who's getting one. That's not usually going to be a big one, just an 8" or so. If it was a big three-tiered cake I would do a tasting as long as it made sense financially based on the final cost of the cake.

cakelady31 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 10:02pm
post #19 of 21

I think to be acommodating I might offer her something I have on hand already. I have no problem trying to please a potential customer. Although I know I wouldnt bend over backwards baking all those flavors just to sample for a birthday cake that serves only 25. icon_smile.gif

HaydenSC Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 11:24pm
post #20 of 21

This is food for thought! We offer tastings for cakes and orders over $200 only. Usually we only get asked if we do tastings if they are calling for a wedding cake. Most ppl who order an occasion cake that large don't ask for a tasting.
When they do the tasting, they can request flavors and fillings. It doesn't mean they will get it. It is still our choice, based on what we have orders for during that week. I didn't want to go to charging for consultations because I think people would feel like they would be able to request flavors. That is too much of a PITA to keep up with.
I still can't decide what we should do! icon_rolleyes.gif

tryingcake Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 1:49am
post #21 of 21

I nicely tell them no, it's is way to costly offer a tasting on a smaller cakes. I tell them it is always my goal to have great quality at great pricing. As soon as I start offering tastings on smaller cakes my pricing will have to reflect that.

That always gets them to understand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%