A Simple Dora The Explorer Cake....

Decorating By SweetIslands Updated 14 Jan 2011 , 12:57am by stampinron

SweetIslands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetIslands Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 2

I am back after a few days off. I thought to share this horrible story with you...
I had a client ask me for a simple Dora The Explorer cake, no problem, right?!
The devil hides in the details....
I planned to do a simple face with Royal icing flow.....unti lI hit the eyes.....Distaster....the whites bled into the black and brown (I forgot to add the whites and above that the whites was too runny!)......Achhh!
The customer was going to pick up the cake in 1 hour, what to do? Head to CakeCentral, and hope that my cry for help would be answered on time....no time.
I decided to touch up the eyes with "Rum"! Cause of course when u start to touch up the flow, after it has already sat, its very hard to get that smooth surface back. So with a thin brush I painted the rum on the flow, it seemed to have worked, it set back the smooth surfice, NOT PERFECT, but at least not bad!!

Just when u think something is so simple, Re-think, thats my mantra from now on...

Anyone else out there who ever had a similiar problem?

Txs

1 reply
stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 12:57am
post #2 of 2

I made a RI transfer for my daughters cake in Nov. Basically, I did the black outline and let it airdry for several hours. I think the longer you let it dry, the better. Also the outline has to be a thicker consistency than what you flood with. It still bled, but very minimally.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%