Help With Making Fondant Stick To Foamcore For A Laptop Lid

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 10:19pm by stampinron

shannycakers Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 6

Please help, I need to make a grey laptop with a lid sticking up of course, and i saw on here that i need to take foam core, cover it with grey fondant on both sides, but how is this done? What do i use to get it to stick on there?

Last time i did something like this was a flop, it was a gift box cake and i could not get the fondant to stay down on the lid sides with buttercream or piping gel?

any helpicon_smile.gif??

5 replies
FullHouse Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 6

I used piping gel on the foam core, applied the fondant and let it dry for a day before propping upright. The "screen" was actually tilted a bit, so I was concerned the back fondant could fall off at that angle. It all stayed on fine.

birdlady9771 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 6

A light coating of piping gel will work, don't over do it or it won't stick but just slide around. Also use piping gel or water to seal the seams so the fondant sticks to itself causing a seal.

Good Luck!

shannycakers Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you all sooo much for your responses:0) One additional thing, when i cover one side with fondant, then let it sit overnight (i assume) then flip and gover the other side? how do i get the edges covered nicely, or do i cover one side and fold ends under to the other side, let dry flip and cover the other side with a square piece?

FullHouse Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 6

Shanny, I applied the "screen", then used 1 piece of fondant on the back and folded it over to the other side (where the screen opening is), then cut the edges of the opening to even them out.

stampinron Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 6

I use corn syrup sometimes instead of piping gel, but either should help it stick

Quote by @%username% on %date%