Working With Wedding Planners...do They Normally Upcharge?

Business By buttercuppie Updated 13 Jan 2011 , 9:07am by AmandaLP

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 7:25pm
post #31 of 39

There's one bride who really wants you regardless of this planner, and I'm sure there will be others. Any idea how long this planner has been in business? I can't imagine they can play this game for too long.

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 7:49pm
post #32 of 39

It's great that the bride really likes your work. Be careful with the planner however...make sure you have copies of any correspondence, etc. If they were bold enough to ask you to hide their dishonesty, don't trust that they won't try to pull something with you.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 9:01pm
post #33 of 39

Un-friggin-believable.

I second that whole keeping correspondences thing. Of course, it won't make a darn bit of difference that you're the honest one... she will talk smack and... I'm sorry. I need to shut my mouth. With any luck she will shut her face so you don't 'expose' her. icon_mad.gif

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 2:39am
post #34 of 39

I think I would clue the bride in on this shenanigan. It is baaaad karma to sit there through the whole tasting knowing this bride is being taken advantage of and not saying a word. I wouldn't hesitate to do it in front of the planner, either. Then again, I've never avoided a good argument (I mean discussion, cough cough) in my life. My Granny always said I should have been a lawyer. icon_wink.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 3:10am
post #35 of 39

icon_rolleyes.gif I had a Wedding Planner contact me 2 weeks before Christams.
I listened to everything she had to say but when she came to the part that *her company* informs the Bride as to cake prices - i got my hackles up.

She mentioned she gets her *cream* from doing it this way - same as with the Florist, Hairdresser etc etc etc.

No, i am the cake maker and decorator - it is me who talks pricing.
Perhaps WHEN you are a cake maker and decorator THEN you may dictate - and you upping my prices so as to obtain *cream* isn't in my long term plan.
Thankyou for calling ................. *click*

I have arrangements with other WP's - and what they do re the flowers and Brides hair is non of my business - but it is me who talks servings - price - delivery - colour - when it comes to the cake.

I refuse to pay someone who turns up with a swish notebook and the latest mobile phone - when my notebook/diary and phone work just fine - thankyou very much..............................lolll

Bluehue.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 3:15am
post #36 of 39

I am evil... I would forward the "planners" emails to the bride... ALL OF THEM. At least she will KNOW who that "professional" is. <Sigh> icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 4:29am
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

She mentioned she gets her *cream* from doing it this way - same as with the Florist, Hairdresser etc etc etc.

That just makes me angry. The attitude is like, eh, I just make a decent living doing this, so I like to cheat and steal to make the extra money that helps me afford a lavish lifestyle. icon_evil.gif And completely unapologetic, trying to suck you into it like it's just fine and dandy.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 7:24am
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

That just makes me angry. The attitude is like, eh, I just make a decent living doing this, so I like to cheat and steal to make the extra money that helps me afford a lavish lifestyle. icon_evil.gif And completely unapologetic, trying to suck you into it like it's just fine and dandy.

Exactely -
I don't l appreciate other people riding on my coatails for their *cream*

If there is *cream* Its mine i say - all mine.... icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue

AmandaLP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaLP Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 9:07am
post #39 of 39

I would clue the bride in as well, especially if she seems the type of person that will give referrals.

You can also suspect that this "planner" will badmouth you to anyone who asks for your cakes, so be on the look out for any signs of that happening.

On the plus side, you *know* this planner tried to talk the bride out of using you, so *Your* reputation must be stellar and growing! Congrats!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%