Modern Fountain Cake???

Decorating By Jennzoe333 Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 9:33pm by Jennzoe333

Jennzoe333 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 8

So I have a young couple getting married next month and are insistent on incorporating the clear plastic fountain in their cake. I find this look to be SO dated, so I'm trying to come up with a modern twist on it... I'm looking for something besides the fountain with 4 columns under a cake. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to give this old a idea a new life? This couple is so young and modern I just want to try to give them something that suits their age and style.

PS - the cake itself is going to be ivory hexagons.. 3 tier and incorporating lavender seashells.

Thanks for any advice you guys may have!

7 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 8

It's not your cake - give them what they want.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

visionsofprisms Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 8

Buddy from cake boss made one in an episode for 14 brides. You should be able to find it on you tube. I think the fountain is still rather pretty and adds a fantasy type idea to it.

online_annie Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 8

3 Ivory Hexagon Tiers with Lavender Seashells does not sound very "modern" to me. Surely they have seen enough examples of it if they have requested it. The Bride may have grown up dreaming of a fountain wedding cake...many girls do. To them it's their fantasty, others it's not. Ultimately, it's their cake, their design, their dime. Let them have what they what.

HamSquad Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 8

I believe like the others, make the cake the couple has requested. The Old sometimes really can become the new, you've seen this time and time again with fashion. I have some pix of old wilton cakes I've done with fountains and some I've done just this past year. I hope some of my photos help. icon_biggrin.gif

Jennzoe333 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you for the responses. let me clarify, they want me to come up with something modern incorporating a fountain.. and actually, the design used for the hexagon cakes and shells is going to be very modern. We are using some fun and funky shades of purple for all of the shell designs and it should look pretty great. However, if I come up with something even more interesting than they will be thrilled. Thanks for the cake boss suggestion. I like to work with my clients, and if I can do something over the top for their big day and still use the fountain, I am going to try!

So, if anyone else has seen any cool uses of the fountain, please do share!

imagenthatnj Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 8

If not under it, I can only think of it as being on top. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a good example. It seems nobody has done it!

This is the closest I can find to the idea (fountain on top, cake on bottom)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hotchocolates/3962458444/in/photostream/

Jennzoe333 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 8

That is SUPER cute! Maybe I could come up with a cool cake design similar. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%