Cake Pricing/serving Help

Decorating By mookamoo Updated 12 Jan 2011 , 12:15am by mookamoo

mookamoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookamoo Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 7:48am
post #1 of 8

A customer wants this exact cake/ I have everything to make it...I would just like some help on pricing/servings/sizes...i hate pricing!! I am getting comfortable with it on my weekly cakes, but I still need help on large cakes/wedding cakes/ high detailed cakes...
i cannot get the photo to attatch so I put the link below
http://www.weddingbeepro.com/2009/09/01/vintage-inspired-wedding-cake/

Thank you so much for your help!!!

7 replies
FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 8:30am
post #2 of 8

I have a hard time with pricing also ... I am in Louisiana so im guessing that the market would be comparable. I would price this cake at $5 to $6 per slice. HTH. by the way it is a beautiful design and id=s going to be so much fun to do

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 10:16am
post #3 of 8

wow, they must be really young if they are calling that cake a "vintage" cake. nothing 'vintage' about it from where I sit! icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

The best article on pricing is from our own CC'er, Kelley of cakeboss software. the link to her article that I highly recommend is located in this blog entry:

http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/

mookamoo Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 8

thank you both so much for the tips! I calculated some prices based on servings...Please let me know what you think. I know some of the cake tiers are more layers than others so I tried to account for that as well. Please don't be afraid to tell me if I am doing something wrong. Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif I looked at the article too, thank you so much!

Top Layer- 6" cakes/ 3 cake layers 10 servings (couple is keeping this tier)

2nd tier- 8" cakes/ 3 layers 23 servings

3rd tier- 10" cakes/ 5 layers 72 servings

bottom tier 12"cakes/ 4 layers 82 servings
=187 servings total.
187x5.50per serving= $1,028.50
187x6.00per serving= $1,122

based on this cake which one do you think would be more appropriate to charge?
I tried to account for the extra layers. This is the chart I used:http://www.pastrywiz.com/cakes/servings.htm

Thank you, thank you, thank you, and again...thank you!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 8

I know you said that she wants that exact cake, but I think you need to start by asking how many actual servings she needs so that you can adjust the sizes to serve what's required and decorate like the photo.

If you aren't using the industry standard serving chart, you're giving away extra servings for free. In your example of 187 servings, it actually serves 261 using the Wilton wedding cake guide:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

So, IF you're charging $5.50 pp, it would cost $1435.50 or $1566.00 at $6.00 pp.

I personally don't think any of those tiers are extra tall except for one. I believe your diameters are correct... with 6" (double layer), 8" (double layer), 10" (triple layer), and 12" (double layer)--totalling 149 servings. (double layer = 4" tall, triple layer = 6" tall.) That would be a significant savings at $5.50 pp = $819.50 or at $6.00 pp = $894.00.

I'd recommend finding out the serving goal, adjust the height and diameters to fit the need, then quote the price. (based on industry standard servings, of course.)

mookamoo Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 8

this is an edit...i spoke to quickly...
Your correct about the tiers. I always tend to think I need more layers...until I put them together. Thank you so much. I am going to use the wilton chart instead.

oh, and there will be 150 at the wedding and I am also doing a grooms cake.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookamoo

Your correct about the tiers. I always tend to think I need more layers...until I put them together. Thank you so much. I am going to use the wilton chart instead.

oh, and there will be 150 at the wedding and I am also doing a grooms cake.

Hey... it doesn't mean I'm correct, it's just my opinion!

Sounds like it will work out perfectly then! Good luck.

mookamoo Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 12:15am
post #8 of 8

thank you so much. I don't know what I would do without y'alls help. ( I had to add some southern flare icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%