Icings And Fondant

Decorating By scratchdog Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 3:41am by mzperk

scratchdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scratchdog Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:57am
post #1 of 5

Hi all, I asked this question the other day and did not get much response. Called the cake shop near me and they didn't know the answer. Can any icing go under fondant? For example, peanut butter icing or does it need to be the traditional buttercream with flavor mixed into it? The recipe I was questioning had butter, peanut butter, powdered sugar and vanilla oh and heavy whipping cream. Thanks

4 replies
sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:06am
post #2 of 5

I don't think peanut butter would work well - I think the oil would do something to the fondant. I've only used buttercream or ganache under fondant....although, I've only be caking for about 8 months so I'm sure someone more experience will have some advice.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:07am
post #3 of 5

You should be fine using most any icing underneath the fondant. If your icing crusts easily, then I would get a couple of coats on and get them nice and smooth and chilled. I would then put on a thin coat just before I put the fondant on. As long as you put the fondant on before the icing has time to crust it should adhere fine. HTH!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:10am
post #4 of 5

I can only speak from my short experience, but to be on the safe side I'd frost with reg around the sides but torte and fill with your flavored buttercream.

mzperk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mzperk Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:41am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchdog

Hi all, I asked this question the other day and did not get much response. Called the cake shop near me and they didn't know the answer. Can any icing go under fondant? For example, peanut butter icing or does it need to be the traditional buttercream with flavor mixed into it? The recipe I was questioning had butter, peanut butter, powdered sugar and vanilla oh and heavy whipping cream. Thanks

I don't see any reason that peanutbutter icing would pose a problem. When in doubt, try it out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%