New Wave Design Cakes..??? Help!!!

Decorating By pinkx2 Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 5:23am by tesso

pinkx2 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:52am
post #1 of 8

i just came across these "new wave" cake designs that are absolutely stunning and i would love to try .. i just need to know what the things that stick out of the cake are made out of. ... are the actual designs made out of royal icing? i know that the plaque that is written on is marzipan which i have never worked with but .. im thinking they do the designs out of royal and then airbrush?

let me know what you think or how to do this if you have done it! -- here is the link of what im talking about ....

http:[email protected]/4743129605/in/photostream/

7 replies
jenmat Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:07am
post #2 of 8

I'm thinking just royal icing dyed, not sprayed. That's it. Looks like fun!

Kitagrl Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:10am
post #3 of 8

Ouch...my eyeballs. LOL. That's quite a cake!!!! A lot of work that's for sure! Have fun!

Sweetcakes23 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:27am
post #4 of 8

I actually think they are fondant (or gumpaste). And, the rolls look like chocolate to me. She must have one of those chocolate wheels (very expensive) but, they shave off large rolls of chocolate like that.

I love to see a decorator who comes up with their own signature type of style and she really has! As I look through her cakes, most of them have that bit of style so you can tell it's one of "hers." Cool cakes, thanks for sharing!

sweetlybaked Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 3:53am
post #5 of 8

I say royal. I was going to say the chocolate melts, but in one of the pictures you can see the fade of a spray on one of the pieces, so I would say royal, airbrushed. And definately chocolate rolls.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 4:11am
post #6 of 8

Whoa! That is crazy awesome!!!

mbark Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 4:49am
post #7 of 8

what a great design for someone trying to cover not-so-smooth-buttercream LOL
totally kidding, he/she is obviously very talented & this is the unique spin on their cakes- very interesting!

tesso Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 5:23am
post #8 of 8

i see chocolate curls, royal icing, and fondant decos. Take a look at my nices sweet 16 cake. you cant miss it with the hand coming out of it giving a peace sign. I used royal icing and MMF. to make the flowers and peace signs. and mmf to make the hand. they are not that hard to make dont let it intimidate you. you just have to prepare a lot ahead of time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%