3-D Fire Hydrant Grooms Cake

Decorating By bwestrum Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 11:18am by msthang1224

bwestrum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwestrum Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 12:25am
post #1 of 2

I need information about making a 3-D fire hydrant cake for a wedding. It is to be the grooms cake. Can you help me?

1 reply
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 11:18am
post #2 of 2

Hi, I'm not an expert and I have never made a fire hydrant cake BUT, I was picturing this in my head. I hope I can relay it to you as well.

First, you need a picture of your fire hydrant that you want to mimic. I googled "pictures of nyc fire hydrants" and there were tons of pics. I'm in nyc so, try search using your state/area name.

Then, you need to build a strudy support system ( rod/pvc pipe and board) depending on the height of yr cake.

Depending on how big you need yr cake to be, start out with round cakes. That you are going to stack (every layer-2 layers should have a cake circle to assist in support) as high as you want yr cake to be.

Then crumbcoat as usual and then ice as usual. Now, here comes the decorating!

I would make long sausage rolls (not to thick) the length needed to go along the sides of the cake all the way around. Depending on the look you want, I would flatten the rolls just a smidgen not too much though. Then I would cover the entire structure in 2 pieces. One side then the other. If u can cover it in 1 piece, go for it. Be sure to make the fondant lng enough that when you put it on, u have enough room to make the indentations molded to the sausage rolls u already have there. ALSO FOR THE BOTTOM OF YR CAKE, u could do the same sausage rolls but bigger, of course to get the hydrant affect and then cover in fondant. REFERRING ALWAYS TO YR PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this is making sense! Then from there you can do the same for the top portion of yr hydrant REFER TO PICS!! Then just begin to let yr minds juices flow and decorate using the pictures.

I hope this helped to start you on yr way. Hopefully, once I post this, the experts on here will see yr post and offer additional or better instructions to help you. GOOD LUCK!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%