Cat In The Hat Head?

Decorating By BillieH Updated 21 Jan 2011 , 4:19pm by BillieH

BillieH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillieH Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 12:13am
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I'll be making a cat in the hat cake for my nephew soon. The cake is basically the cats head carved and his tall red and white hat. I'm pretty nervous about getting the shape right for his head. The original decorator used 3 10" layer cakes to make the head. The hat is 5 8" layer cakes.

I'm not much of a carver. I can cut a straight line if that counts LOL! But I don't think that's going to help me. Can anyone think of any tips or tricks so my Cat in the Hat won't look like he tangled with Freddy Cougar?

I've considered using the Wilton ball pan and than using RKT for the muzzle/nose. But I'm not sure how well that would work. I also think if I go that way I would need to make the hat out of 4 6" layers to make it look more propitiate. What are your thoughts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

4 replies
BillieH Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 5

<Crickets Chirping>

I was afraid of that. I'll grab some faith and throw caution to the wind. How picky can a 3 year old be anyways?

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 5

One thing I find helps me is to print out paper or cardboard "templates" the size and shape of the item I want to carve. Then I hold them up against the cake I'm carving, and that helps guide me where to cut (and where not to).

I also struggle with getting proportions right, so I make a model out of aluminum foil or styrofoam or even paper & tape, just so I have something to look at when I'm judging what size to make figures, etc.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 12:40am
post #4 of 5

I did a Cat in the Hat but molded it out of RKT since it was for a competition....anyways....

Don't look at the entire picture...look at shapes...break down the image. Compare distances for the facial features....for instance look at where the eyes are...halfway down? 1/3 of the way down? Where is the nose as compared to the ears? How far does the mouth go as compared to the neck? How tall is the hat as compared to the head?

Also do measurements on the paper. Do ratios....for instance the hat might be 3" tall and 1" wide in your paper. Your cake hat will be, say, 6" wide...so that's 3/x = 1/6 so tall x = 18" (just as a for instance, obviously that's wrong, and not actual!)

Not sure if that makes sense!

BillieH Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks ladies your comments help tremendously! Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%