Customer Said Cake Was Dry! Simple Syrup?

Baking By TartletteTreats Updated 16 Jan 2011 , 5:43am by NanaSandy

TartletteTreats Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 8

I still have the trimmings, I tasted and it is not actually dry. However, I am making another cake for her this weekend and want to add some moisture. Any tips on simple syrup?

7 replies
tryingcake Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:18am
post #2 of 8

I use coffee syrup - any complimentary flavor. French Vanilla is safe when you are not sure.

Or you can make it from scratch. But I love the coffee syrups.

SweetSouthernBakery Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:36am
post #3 of 8

I hadn't thought about using the coffee syrups I've just always used a simple syrup from scratch but that seems to be a great idea. I'll have to try it.

NanaSandy Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:38am
post #4 of 8

tryingcake: I never would have thought to use the coffee syrup...yum! Great idea! I am going to have to try that. Does it change the taste of the cake quite a bit? I too like the vanilla!
I have never used simple you just brush it on the cake? I have seen it done on cake shows, so I am assuming that is how it is done. Do you wait until the cake is cooled? Thanks for your help..and sorry if these are dumb questions. That is what I love about this website, even if it is a "dumb" question...somebody will help you out!!

tryingcake Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:46am
post #5 of 8

For me it doesn't change the flavor because I use "matching" flavors. For instance, in my WASC, I use the almond flavoring. In my chocolate, I use chocolate and so on. When I'm unsure I stick to vanilla or french vanilla.

I pour mine on. I take a fork and poke hole around the cake and just pour it on. It's a gut thing - how much your gut tells you to add. LOL.... But it can really take a lot. Especially Red Velvet - people like that cake WET - so I use the French Vanilla and make it WET.

NanaSandy Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 5:07am
post #6 of 8

tryingcake: Thanks for your help. I am going to try this on a cake next week!!

tryingcake Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 5:32am
post #7 of 8

Oh - and I do this after it cools - although it probably doesn't matter. When I'm getting ready to ice the cake, I make a judgment call. I ice it right after pouring it on - and seal all that wetness in.

NanaSandy Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 5:43am
post #8 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%