Support For A Traveling 6,8,10" Tiered Cake?

Lounge By SSGirly Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 6:32pm by Kellbella

SSGirly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSGirly Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 5

I'm fairly new at doing tiered cakes that have to travel, but my brother asked me to do a christening cake for their son next month. It will be a 6,8,10" cake and I know i need dowel support in each of the tiers, but should I worry about a single rod attached to the base? I need to transport the cake about 30 minutes away, and I don't have time to stack it once I get there so I would love to just have it all set. I've been thinking about that cakesafe that everyone has been talking about, but I'm not sure I can justify the $300-400 it costs since I only do a couple of large cakes a year for friends and family(NJ does not have a cottage food law, otherwise I might try to actually sell some!).

I would love tips on the structure and on the travel if anyone has any.

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 5

If you're using dowels for support with cardboard between the tiers, you can hammer a sharpened center dowel through all tiers to help prevent them from sliding apart during transport.

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 5

I would most definitely use the SPS (Single Plate Separator) system. Google it and check it out. It would be well worth it!! icon_wink.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 4:42am
post #4 of 5

I use 1/2 inch fomecore under each tier, bubble tea straws for dowels and one center dowel thru all three. HTH

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 5

You definitely need to drive a dowel through the center of all the cakes once they are stacked...or use the SPS which a lot of CC'ers swear by.

Oh and drive SLOOOOWWW!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%