Cake Decorating Demonstration

Decorating By beth1819 Updated 10 Jan 2011 , 9:46pm by TexasSugar

beth1819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth1819 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 4

Hello all! I have been asked to do a cake decorating demonstration/mini class at a monthly craft night at a craft and hobby store. The owner said that she usually plans on 15- 20 people showing up and that she has charged anywhere between $10 and $30 for these craft nights. She would like me to demonstrate some things, but she also wants them to be able to participate (she suggested cupcakes?) My question is, is there anywhere to find kits that include basic tools or should I purchase supplies and make my own kit? Also, has anyone done this before? Any tips on how to make something like this go smoothly? TIA!!

3 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 4

Wilton sells a beginner's decorating kit which you can purchase from Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Take a look at it and see if it has the tools you will need for your demonstation or you could work your demonstration around the tools available in the kit.

I think student's would prefer to purchase a ready-made kit for a class whether you tell them to get the Wilton one or make one up yourself. That saves them having to do a lot of shopping for a long list of items.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 4

This Wilton link was in another thread:
http://www.wilton.com/classes/icing-fun/materialsandtips.cfm

I hope you find it helpful.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 4

Before you get all into the making of the kits, I would find out a few things first.

How much is she paying you? Do you get all of the money she charges? Do you have to supply everything or is she supplying items?

If it is a craft store, does she want you to use supplies they have and sell? So they can sell them and make money?

The first three questions would be very important to me, because the answers could make me decide it wasn't worth my time. If you end up having to make an investment to do this, such as making kits, then get paid little in the end then it really it isn't worth your time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%