Newbie Needs Help With Pan Sizes And Servings.

Decorating By mueting55 Updated 10 Jan 2011 , 10:42pm by mueting55

mueting55 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 5

Okay I am still new at making cakes. Though i have been making cakes for probably close to 3 years I Don't get to do them very often. A girl i used to work with called the other day to see if i still did wedding cakes. I accepted the job, but now i am stumped. She wants rectangle tiers, which is fine, but she needs to feed 60-70 people. I planned on doing a half sheet, double layered and a quarter sheet, double layered. Will this feed that many people? Also how do you top a quarter sheet cake. She asked if i could do a fondant bow on top like I did for her sister a year ago. Thats fine but do you think i should put a small 6" round layer on top just for the topper? Totally lost and untill i figure out what pans to use i can't design and i meet with her thursday to go over the plans......UGH help please....I know this is kind of a broad post...but i am so lost im not even sure what to ask.....luckly the wedding isn't until Feb.

4 replies
indydebi Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 5

double layer half sheet .... 12x18 .... serves 108 when cut in the industry standard of 1x2x4.

double quarter sheet ... 9x13.... serves approx 48

with just those two cakes, you're looking at over 150 servings of cake for 60 people.

More than once I've told brides "You can't have a 4 tier cake to serve 50." I've often marveled at brides, who have no idea how to make a wedding cake, will try to dicate the number of servings AND the number of tiers they "require" and the two requirements are usually miles apart.

If she wants all of that cake .... great. Just make sure she understands she's paying for 156 servings. She's not getting it for the price of 60.

TexasSugar Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 5

What about cutting a 13x9 in half and putting it on top of the 13x9 instead of doing the 12x18 and 13x9. If I'm doing the right math then that should give you 72 servings, which is a lot close to the 60 than 150.

I don't think you need a round cake on top. I would do two bows. The loopy like bow on the top cake, then what I refer to as a dress bow on the bottom cake in one of the corners. You could even offset the top cake a little to make it look like two presents sitting together.

mueting55 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 5

thank you for all your help. I believe i know now what i need to do. Thanks again for all your ideas and tips! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%