Does Anyone Here Have A Cake Business In Japan Or Use To?

Business By Sugar_Bunny Updated 14 Jan 2011 , 11:37pm by Sugar_Bunny

Sugar_Bunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Bunny Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 5

My husband is in the Navy and we are moving to Japan in six months. I really wanted to start my cake and cookie business while I was here in VA but it doesn't seem worth while seeing as we'll be moving soon. My plan now is to hopefully start my business when we move to Japan.

Does anyone know if I can start a 'legal' home bakery business in Japan? Where we live in VA home bakeries are legal if you get the license. Is there any rules or regulations on this in Japan? Most likely we'll be living off base if that makes a difference.

I've been searching for info on this but I can't find anything. I hope someone here can help me icon_smile.gif

4 replies
beesweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beesweetcakes Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 5

Hi! I live on Okinawa. I have a cake business on base as do many others, so based on that I am assuming that is OK. I've never had anyone tell me otherwise. I do not and will not accept orders from anyone that is not on SOFA status. Hope that helps.

Sugar_Bunny Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 5

Hi Beesweetcakes, thanks for the reply to my question icon_smile.gif

May I ask, is your business just a small on-the-side business or a proper business that you make a living off? Do you have to pay taxes on the income you earn from your cake business or is it all off the books?

Do you advertise anywhere or are your customers friend and from word of mouth?

I hope you don't mind answering these questions. I really appreciate any advice you can give me.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Bunny

May I ask, is your business just a small on-the-side business or a proper business that you make a living off? Do you have to pay taxes on the income you earn from your cake business or is it all off the books?

This is a very sensitive subject here on CC, and tends to cause arguments. Please reply to her in PM.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Bunny Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

This is a very sensitive subject here on CC, and tends to cause arguments. Please reply to her in PM.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I'm sorry for bringing up a sore subject.....I definitely don't want to cause any trouble on here icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%