Puppies Aren't The Only Ones Not To Be Trusted!

Decorating By SandraDoll Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 12:25am by Lcubed82

SandraDoll Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 6

Adult dogs who have never touched a cake before can mess up your cakes, too!

I am posting this not as the cake-maker but, as the bride icon_wink.gif (though it was a long time ago now, I am just new to the forum!)

My best friend is a cake artist and made many cakes over the years. She had never had a problem making the cakes the day before and leaving them on her dining room table. Her dog was well trained, knew better than to go anywhere near the table top and had never gotten into a cake before - we're talking hundreds of cakes.

Of course, she was doing my wedding cake - she was also a bridesmaid and her two girls were jr. bridesmaid and flower girl (in retrospect, I *may* have put a little too much on her icon_eek.gif). My wedding cake was a three tier cascade of vanilla, chocolate, and carrot with white fondant draped and piped to look like an embroidered handkerchief.

She finished the cake the night before, left it on the table as per usual.

Woke up the morning of the wedding to a scene that would make you want to run away with the circus. The dog had consumed almost the entire cake - every layer of the cake was ruined, and to add insult to injury, it made the dog sick and there was cakey dog puke piles EVERYWHERE.

My wonderful friend.. she was a champion, though, to this day I have no idea how she did it. She made a new cake. She showed up to the wedding looking amazing with her two amazingly beautiful daughters in tow as well.

Admittedly.. the cake was um.. slightly underdone. icon_lol.gif The middle was a little... soggy, as I recall. But it LOOKED fantastic and I still don't know how she managed it. She's my superhero! She didn't tell me until she had already made a new one, or I would have told her not to bother and just stop by the grocery store or something icon_lol.gif

Anyway just thought I would share.. no matter how well behaved your dog is, no matter how well you have him/her trained. Sometimes temptation just might get the better of them.. you might consider putting the cake behind a closed door for those high-profile, time sensitive cakes icon_wink.gif

5 replies
simplysouthern Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 6

Wow what an amazing friend you have!! If that wouldve been me I probably would have sunk into the floor and had to have been medicated!!! I'm sure the dog learned a lesson with all the sickness but hopefully they came up w a better cake spot LOL. Glad it all turned out ok!!!

tesso Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 6

lmao. Okay, breathing again. I imagining my nieces great dane while reading that story. Poor woman, I would have been lying dead inthe floor from stress.

Lcubed82 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 6

My two (actually one, but we can't PROVE which one!) dogs, age 3 1/2, ate half of the large tier and licked the icing off of the smaller tier of a cake! Thankfully I had actually started on time (ahead of schedule for me!), so had a night to recover. I continued making the decs while the new layers baked, and got it all done!

Add- finally got the photo loaded! Pink and green wedding shower cake in my photos.

kakabekabunny Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 12:04am
post #5 of 6

LOL...I can sure empathize.....I was working on a 3D Dora cake that was due for 7 am the next morning ( and it was already 9 PM). I left the cake on the diningroom table to go & make more icing & didn't realize my dh had let the dogs in. When I went back into the room, half the cake was gone. I live 40 km from town & had used up the last of my sugar, butter & flour & had to send dh to town before the stores closed at 10 PM for more supplies. Needless to say, I was up all night rebaking & decorating, but learned my lesson......NEVER, EVER leave my cake unwatched!! LOL

Lcubed82 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 12:25am
post #6 of 6

We found out at 9pm when my son, on his way to bed, said,"Mom, the cake broke!" The dogs spent the next 24 hours either in their crates or closely guarded on the way outside!

Quote by @%username% on %date%