Experience W/ Wilton First And Ten Football Cake Pan

Baking By goeasycakes Updated 10 Jan 2011 , 6:59pm by goeasycakes

goeasycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goeasycakes Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:45am
post #1 of 6

I'm planning on using this pan for the first time later this week and am wondering if I need to use a Heating Core baking insert? I was originally going to use the soccer ball pan and the review on the Wilton website indicated it was necessary due to the edges being overcooked. I can't find any reviews on the football pan so I'm not sure. The two pans seem to have the same depth.

Thanks for any advice.........

5 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 5:07am
post #2 of 6

Is this the half football shape? If so, I've never used a heating core in it.

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 6

I've had this pan for a long time and love it. A couple of things though - I always bake on 325 instead of 350 so it does take a little longer to bake. I do this in all deep pans though and they bake more evenly. Then after the cake has cooled out of the pan for about an hour, I wrap the cake in plastic wrap and put it back in the pan for several
hours - preferably overnight. This helps the cake to settle in the shape of the pan instead of spreading out. I also do this to other pans that have both shape and depth.

By the way, I use this pan almost every year for Super Bowl events. On some occasions when I needed something different I have formed RKT using cocoa krispies and decorating it. Everyone always loves it.

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 6

I've had this pan for a long time and love it. A couple of things though - I always bake on 325 instead of 350 so it does take a little longer to bake. I do this in all deep pans though and they bake more evenly. Then after the cake has cooled out of the pan for about an hour, I wrap the cake in plastic wrap and put it back in the pan for several
hours - preferably overnight. This helps the cake to settle in the shape of the pan instead of spreading out. I also do this to other pans that have both shape and depth.

By the way, I use this pan almost every year for Super Bowl events. On some occasions when I needed something different I have formed RKT using cocoa krispies and decorating it. Everyone always loves it.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 6

I too have had this pan a long time and as thallo I bake at 325, without the heating core and on a cookie sheet. I have always had very good luck with it!! I use the durable 3D recipe posted on here. thumbs_up.gif Post a picture when you are done! Good Luck

goeasycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goeasycakes Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the help. I'd love to try the durable 3D recipe at some point but can't for this cake b/c the child this is for has an egg allergy.....icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%