How Much For 15 Tiers???

Decorating By Butterfly325 Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 4:50am by Corrie76

Butterfly325 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 12:57am
post #1 of 31

It looks like I may have a cake order for this Aug for 15 tiers of cake, not stacked though. I guess they want to spread them across the front table, some stacked, some not. I'm thinking they want a 4 tier in the middle then 3 tier 2 tier and single tier on each side. I usually charge $3 a slice, all my cakes have fillings and fondant. But since the cake is for about 600+ people, is that too much? Too little?? I have no clue if my price is fair. Everything is made from scratch. Help!!!

30 replies
birdlady9771 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:20am
post #2 of 31

Stick with your pricing - if they can't afford you don't take it personally and let them go to the wholesale/box stores. You get what you pay for.

leily Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:28am
post #3 of 31

Agree, if it's to much then they can cut back on how much cake they're ordering. They don't get a discount b/c it's for so many people, they only get a discount if it's a daily or weekly CONSISTENT order (typically corporate)

CWR41 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:53am
post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly325

I usually charge $3 a slice, all my cakes have fillings and fondant. But since the cake is for about 600+ people, is that too much? Too little?? I have no clue if my price is fair. Everything is made from scratch. Help!!!

They recognize a bargain if you're only charging $3 per serving. Is anyone in your area that cheap for scratch baking, fillings, and fondant? I think it's too little.

KathysCC Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:54am
post #5 of 31

$3 a serving for a fondant covered wedding cake is cheap. So no, you are not charging too much. If that is your going price and they are asking for 600 servings, then you have to charge them $1800. Believe me, once you finish making 15 tiers, you will think $1800 isn't enough!!

cylstrial Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 2:54am
post #6 of 31

Wow, that is a lot of cake! I agree with Kathy. Charge every penny or you are going to kick yoursel when you are making these cakes.

leah_s Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:00am
post #7 of 31

I charge $3 for bc, $4 for fondant. $3 for fondant is CHEAP!

ginger6361 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:16am
post #8 of 31

Leah, does the price per slice, say $3 or $4, include decorations? I do a lot of decorating, and neverr know how much to add for this extra service..so of course I get under paid..

suzied Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 4:56am
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Sorry to hijack. Leah : May i know the size of the piece of cake. is it 1x2x4? Also, is that without decorations, please , please answer this question for me, Leah. Thank you.

artscallion Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 31

I think people get confused as to the purpose of "bulk" or "quantity" discounts is. We go into a cookie shop and see that 1 cookie will cost you $1 but a dozen will only cost you $10, not $12. We think that the general sales principle is, "hey, the more you buy, the cheaper stuff should be." But in reality, this discount for a dozen is intended to entice you to buy more than just the 1 or two cookies you came in for by offering a price incentive.

However, if a person already wants a 15 tier cake, there's nothing to entice her to; she's already there at the 15 tiers. You have no reason to offer her any incentive to do what she's already doing.

Another instance of quantity discounting would be if you got a large wholesale order from someone who wanted to resell your cookies in their restaurant or theatre concession stand. The quantity discount might be negotiated with them to entice them to commit to a regular (daily, weekly, monthly, whatever), long term order schedule. A one time large sale wold not get that same discount; that's just a one time large order. A commitment to a schedule of more sales would get them that discount.

(I use cookies, not cake as an example because I used to run a cookie shop)

The common thread is that the discount is used as an enticement to more sales, not as a reward for a big order they were planning to make anyway.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 2:08pm
post #11 of 31

Artscallion--brilliant! Perfect logic. You really got that straight. Yes yes yes.

~~~~~~~~~~
I promise, I saw marshmellow in the dictionary once as an alternate spelling. It was back in the day before computerized everything. Have no idea which dictionary it was and the ones on computer aren't cooperating. Alternate spelling I promise! icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 2:19pm
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzied

Sorry to hijack. Leah : May i know the size of the piece of cake. is it 1x2x4? Also, is that without decorations, please , please answer this question for me, Leah. Thank you.

You're pricing is your own. You can charge what you want. Some people will charge more for elaborate work. Some people don't. However, most people charge extra for baby booties, bows, high heel shoes, etc.

Most people use a 1x2x4. I'm pretty sure that Leah uses the 1x2x4 cutting guide as well.

HaydenSC Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 2:56pm
post #13 of 31

Stick with your pricing. No discounts. Look at it this way: doing this cake could prevent you from taking other cakes on this date. Why should you be paid less for this cake when you could make your regular price on another cake for another client on the same date. I would charge your regular pricing and some additional for delivery because of the length of time it would take you to set everything up! Artscallion's explanation of discounting and incentives is right on. thumbs_up.gif

simplysouthern Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 4:00pm
post #14 of 31

I just browsed through your gallery and I'm pretty shocked you're only charging $3 a slice. Trays a lot of detail work on your cakes. Don't be afraid to ask your worth!!! You're cakes are awesome I adore the She said yes one!!!!! Good luck and hth

Neelas_wife Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:44pm
post #15 of 31

$3 is a steal. I'd say charge more...

DebBTX Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 10:39pm
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I agree with Leah. $3.00 per serving for a fondant covered cake is cheap.

That order will be a tremendous amount of work. I'm glad I won't be in charge of washing all the pans and clean-up. icon_lol.gif But... on the flip side, it will be a wonderful feeling of money well earned when the powdered sugar has settled and the couple love their special day.

Have you already quoted the Bride a price, or are you still able to increase for the fondant?

-Debbie B.

dchockeyguy Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 10:44pm
post #17 of 31

I also charge $3/slice for fondant if I do wedding cakes (which I rarely do). However, if people want a lot of decorations, I charge for things like bows, flowers, etc on a per piece basis.

robinmarie Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 10:47pm
post #18 of 31

If the couple can afford to have a wedding with 600 guests, they can afford a cake for 600 people. I would charge more that $3.00 as well because your going to be one busy lady on this order.

Marinette Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 10:48pm
post #19 of 31

I think too is cheap... but is filling and fondant!

sibelsah Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 12:10am
post #20 of 31

I will make a 2 tier round cake 10" and 6" . I will be filling it chocolate ganaj and raspberry. I will cover it with fondant. I said 120$. The cake is for baby shower. What do you think for price?

ginger6361 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 6:16am
post #21 of 31

I just got a request for a full sheet cale, covered in fondant with baby shower decorations. Including a hand molded baby. Any ida what you would charge for that?

indydebi Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 6:26am
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger6361

I just got a request for a full sheet cale, covered in fondant with baby shower decorations. Including a hand molded baby. Any ida what you would charge for that?

just so everyone is on the same page, since many people have no idea what a full sheet cake is, should we assume you mean a 18x24 single layer that serves 108 people?

ginger6361 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 6:53am
post #23 of 31

You are correct..

ginger6361 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 6:55am
post #24 of 31

With quilted blanket, baby, teddy bear, booties, etc.. for decorations..I really can't wait as it will be a lot of fun to do..

indydebi Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 7:10am
post #25 of 31

My fondnat rate was $4.50/serving so I would be looking at around $450 for this cake. for one this size, I'd probably have thrown in delivery at no charge.

ginger6361 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 7:12am
post #26 of 31

OK. Thanks so much.. I was afraid to ask $180 for it..

ginger6361 Posted 18 Jan 2011 , 5:50am
post #27 of 31

Indydebi , I see you in the forum a lot, and you are so helpful to everyone. I for one apprreciate it. Would you know where I can find a sleeping baby tutorial? Thanks

Butterfly325 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 3:56am
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysouthern

I just browsed through your gallery and I'm pretty shocked you're only charging $3 a slice. Trays a lot of detail work on your cakes. Don't be afraid to ask your worth!!! You're cakes are awesome I adore the She said yes one!!!!! Good luck and hth

Thanks! I'm always so afraid to overcharge.

I haven't had a chance to get on here for a while, but thank you for all your replies. I haven't given a quote yet. I was waiting to see what kind of design she was looking for and actually this cake is for a quinceañera! Crazy! Who knows that many teenagers??? I'm assuming they have a big family.
I'm not sure what people in my area are charging, but I do know of one person who will do them for $1 a slice. I've never seen her work though. Most bakeries in my area though are pretty pricey so I thought my price was fair. I just wasn't sure if there should be a discount for such a large amount, but you are all right icon_smile.gif Thanks again and I'll let ya'll know what happens! Same person just ordered a grad cake for march so hopefully this big cake will happen!

caleyb Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:13am
post #29 of 31

My fondnat rate was $4.50/serving so I would be looking at around $450 for this cake. for one this size, I'd probably have thrown in delivery at no charge.

....and you would get that price for a baby shower cake? People get down right indignant with me if I charge more than $50 for a bridal shower, baby shower or birthday cake. I have more fun making them for friends and family as my "gift" than the general public who feel I am 'ripping them off' when they can get "the same thing" at Walmart for 1/2 that. So....I tell them they should go to Walmart then, if that is what makes them happiest. Very frustrating.

cr8zchpr Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:41am
post #30 of 31

I chage 5 for bc and 6 for fondant to start and go up from there... that is cheap for LA...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%