"not So Sweet" Frosting

Baking By Erica_W Updated 14 Feb 2011 , 12:54am by tryingcake

Erica_W Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erica_W Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 8

I have a wedding coming up in which the bride requested a frosting that was "less sweet" than the traditional buttercream. Does anyone have any suggestions? My whipped cream frosting is definitely lighter and less sweet, but I don't want her to have to keep them refrigerated.
Thanks!

7 replies
PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 8

Hello Erica_W: Welcome to Cake Central. It's a wonderful place to learn and share.

Your question is a good one - evidenced by the fact that it is often discussed. You can take advantage of the forums and read the many ideas by doing a search. It's easy and provides a wealth of information.

Go to the forums tab. Select search from the purple title line (a bit to the left). I just typed in the three words in the search line: frosting too sweet Then, select the All Words button. If you want to limit the initial results, select the Topic Title Only button. This gave me 37 threads. If you don't find what you need by limiting to Topic Title, change that button to include the body of the discussions.

Good luck and enjoy your time on Cake Central.

lacey88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacey88 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 8

try a swiss meringue buttercream recipe. i like martha stewarts. its light and fluffy. plus its not too sweet! i love it.

splymale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splymale Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 8

I had this same request, I read on here to combine buttercream with Swiss meringue buttercream. It is to die for, everyone who orders it loves it. Some customers did not like the richness of the SMB, although it is my fav. Good luck!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 8

I also would recommend SMBC (I like Toba Garrett's recipe). SMBC mixed with american buttercream is also a great option, because it gives you some extra stability with the icing.

Check this thread for some great info on SMBC:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-689190.html

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 8

I also would recommend SMBC (I like Toba Garrett's recipe). SMBC mixed with american buttercream is also a great option, because it gives you some extra stability with the icing.

Check this thread for some great info on SMBC:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-689190.html

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 12:52am
post #7 of 8

Can someone here give a recipe for american butter cream and what was the ratio you mixed together. I just did it with a ratio of 2 cups of SMBC to 1 cup of ABC and it was still a little too sweet for me. My DD loved, DH did not and neither did I. So I am looking for an alternative.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 12:54am
post #8 of 8

I have found simply replacing the vanilla flavoring with almond or another non-sweet flavor (like rum) cuts down on the sweetness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%