Using Silver Highlighter Powder On Different Mediums

Decorating By Bskinne Updated 9 Jan 2011 , 6:58pm by DianeLM

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 2

I have some different elements of a cake that I will be making metallic silver, and was wondering the best ways to color with the silver highlighter powder (used for dragees). I was told the vodka was to streaky, so if I'm painting I should use lemon extract or confectioners glaze. Some elements will be color flow, some gumpaste, and some MMF. Is painting this with the hilighter/glaze mix the best way to go? I'm mostly worried about painting the color flow pieces, I didn't want it to break them down...H

1 reply
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 2

Vodka, or any medium, will only cause streaks if the mixture is too thin. Once it's a thick, paint-like consistency, you shouldn't have a problem with streaks. Because the alcohol evaporates so quickly, you'll need to add more, drop by drop, to your paint to keep the right consistency. I prefer Everclear (grain alcohol), however, it's available everywhere. Lemon extract will actually be worse than vodka because it doesn't evaporate as quickly.

The downside to mixing the dust with alcohol is that the dust will come off on anything that touches it.

I like to mix with confectioners glaze when I'm concerned about the dust coming off. The glaze seals the dust in, leaving a smooth surface that resists fingerprints and loose dust.

The downside to mixing with confectioners glaze is the tendency for it to look streaky.

If you have an airbrush, you can spray the alcohol/dust mixture for minimal streakiness. DO NOT put confectioners glaze in your airbrush!

Both alcohol and confectioners glaze are fine to use on colorflow, gumpaste and MMF.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%