Cake Decorating At Michaels

Decorating By ieatfriedfish Updated 10 Jan 2011 , 1:35am by ieatfriedfish

ieatfriedfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ieatfriedfish Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 6

Hello,

I am looking to take a basic, first timer's, cake decorating class - and am looking at Michaels. Has anyone taken a class here? Is it a good course for beginners?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Linz

5 replies
lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 6

I took my first classes at Michaels and loved them! The Insructor was great and fun, if we had questions at home we could email her. It was a great expierence and it really made me fall in love with cake decorating more! I do take speciality classes thru some bakeries around our area. Like just a class for fondant or a certain gumpaste flower. I took a class (2 classes) to learn how to make a Peony flower, it was a very detailed class, learned a lot. I love taking classes, it's fun and the people are awesome! Take the class at Michaels and have fun! HTL!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 6

Those are the Wilton classes. They are good for starters, but if you look in your area at local cake shops, many of them have beginner cake classes that you will likely learn more in. Wilton classes are very specific to the Wilton way of doing things. A good instructor will make a lot of difference too. Good luck!

obsessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obsessed Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 6

I have taken all of the ("old")Wilton courses offered at Michaels and I felt like they were a good start...provided you have a good instructor. I had one that was not so into it and another who loved it and it made a huge difference. I also recommend buying your supplies using the 50% off coupons as it can get pricey especially if you are buying all your stuff there.

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with what the others said. Wilton classes are a great place to start but the instructor makes a huge difference to how you learn. Local bakeries will have people who teach & you will learn different things from them. Wilton classes are great for absolute beginners & those just looking to play around with it.
Have fun icon_biggrin.gif

ieatfriedfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ieatfriedfish Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:35am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone! I think I will take the beginners course and see how it goes from there. Just as a starting point.
Also planning on 'experimenting' with fondant at home, as that is what I am mainly interested in! Will take a class in that at some point as well!!!

Thanks again!!!

Linz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%