Toba's Glace - Terrible Spotting

Baking By just_for_fun Updated 13 Jan 2011 , 1:48am by just_for_fun

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 16

I iced almost 200 cookies with Toba's glace, and they spotted terribly.

1- Why????

2- Is there any way to save these cookies?

TIA

15 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 16

You have to add Americolor bright white to it or you'll get the spotting issues. I don't know if you can save them though.

just_for_fun Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 16

I did that when I made the icing. Also sifted the conf. sugar. I started decorating some, and I'm covering most of the spots. But the dark ones don't look salvageable. icon_sad.gif(

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 16

That's why I don't like glace icings. They're terrible (in my opinion!) icon_biggrin.gif

just_for_fun Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 16

I usually love it, ppl love the taste and it's easy to make. But it's not behaving today!!!

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 16

i have never used glaze but wanted to give tobi's recipe a try...I do have some questions: when you say "add americolor white" which i have on hand, do you mean while you are mixing the batch of glaze or when you're about to color it...add it with the color you are using? by the sounds of her recipe, one can just mix this by hand? or do you all use your mixers? also, can this particular type of icing be thickened to use for detailed work or is it just to cover a cookie? one more...(!!!) does it harden enough to stack cookies?

Thanks so much in advance...

messy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy1 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 16

I always add the Americolor white while I am making the icing, it gets in the whole batch at once that way. I have always used a mixer to make this glace icing. I had trouble with the spotting until I started adding the white icing color but I have also found that you cannot let these cookies dry in a cool/cold room, they just don't like it...and they must be dry before you store them in containers. They will get hard enough to stack, very nicely...and yes you can thicken the mix to use for piping/decorating. The glace icing is the only icing I use on my decorated sugar cookies. Good luck.

just_for_fun Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 16

I guess it's possible that I had the window open a crack when I iced them. I'm 37 weeks pg, and I get very hot. I hope the 350 cookies I do later this week don't make me problems. These were for a party I am making, so whatever isn't good doesn't matter. But those are for a fundraiser that I promised cookies for. Now I'm nervous about them. Maybe I should just use RI for those, even if I like glace better..

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 16

thanks for all the tips and advice!!!

CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCrazy_grozzie11 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 16

Can you add some shimmer or disco dust to your cookies to help distract from the spots?

Do the designing on a tray of them, then stand back. Maybe its only something you notice ( as we are very self critical) most others dont know its not supposed to be like that.

Good luck with the other 350 and your new bubba on the way icon_smile.gif

just_for_fun Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:55am
post #11 of 16

Thanks! The white ones that I decorated look quite good, the grey ones are next. They will anyway be brushed silver so I'm not nervous about those. The dark blue ones are a different story. My dh also thought I was exagerating til he looked at them and said "ouch". But I just thought about the blue luster dust that I bought for no reason at all, I guess G-d knew this would happen. I will brush that on before I decorate. I hope that helps.

and thanks for the good wishes!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 12:06am
post #12 of 16

Most definitely a cold weather problem! I've started using a space heater in the kitchen to keep things warm during the winter months. Glaze just really hates getting cold before it sets up. Adding the brite white helps, but if the room is too chilly, it won't prevent the icing from getting cloudy and spotted.

just_for_fun Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 12:59am
post #13 of 16

So heat won't affect it? How's about humidity? I'm always nervous to decorate while I'm cooking because I'm afraid that will cause spots, I never realized the cold would do it.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 6:32pm
post #14 of 16

I\\'ve only had trouble with the icing when the weather is cold. We\\'re hot and humid in the summer, but the icing never spots. Only cold seems to affect it this way. And it\\'s only until the icing has set. Once it has set, you can refrigerate the decorated cookie and it will be fine.

Msjckson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Msjckson Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 6:56pm
post #15 of 16

If you added salt to the recipe then the reason you had spots is because the salt didn\\'t have time to settle. It normally takes several hours to a day to settle. So if you mixed it and added color right away then that\\'s your issue. This happens mostly with dark colors, which is probably why you didn\\'t see it in white ones.

just_for_fun Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 1:48am
post #16 of 16

Thanx for your help. I've read quite a few threads on Toba's glace, but I never heard that cold could do that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%