Banana Wedding Cake

Baking By caleyb Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 6:48pm by drakegore

caleyb Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 3:52am
post #1 of 17

I have a request for a banana wedding cake - I have seen various recipes but would like one that is tried and true from someone on here. Please help me out! Thanks.

16 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 4:02am
post #2 of 17

Did you check the recipes section? They are all TNT.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

caymancake Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 4:07am
post #3 of 17

There is one that has a base that is the same for both a carrot cake and a banana cake - since I tried out both of the carrot and banana variations, I haven't gone back to my old recipes! The tast is amazing and the cake is dense and moist. I did the banana recipe for some wedding cupcakes last month and it was a hit! The bride and groom came knocking to find out if I had extras or if I could do a batch for them to take with them on their honeymoon!

Ellie1985 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 4:14am
post #4 of 17

My granddaughter requested a banana cake for her 18th birthday this Sunday. So I too have been looking at banana cake recipes this week. I came a cross a recipe for Bananas Foster(sorry I don't remember who's it is) and I tried it. I had a 4" white cake in the freezer and filled it and it was very good and very bananay(is that a word LOL). I asked my DH if I should use a banana cake and thought it would be too much to have both banana cake and banana filling. Let me know if you want the recipe.

imagenthatnj Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 4:28am
post #5 of 17

I've used this one for a birthday cake. It came out delicious, but you might want to try recipes first to see if you'll like them.

http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/mr-banana-legs

It's different from regular banana cakes that are usually a little heavy and a bit oily. Warren Brown from Cake Love uses potato starch in his cakes to make them lighter (I think it's his equivalent of using cake flour). Here's a blogger, talking about this cake:

http://stripeydots.blogspot.com/2009/03/we-love-banana-cake-mr-banana-legs.html

indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 6:03am
post #6 of 17

scratch or mix? I'm a mix baker and when I got requests for banana, I'd use a white cake mix, whole eggs (to add yellow coloring) and banana oil flavoring. Big hit with all!

DebbyJG Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 6:22am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by caymancake

There is one that has a base that is the same for both a carrot cake and a banana cake - since I tried out both of the carrot and banana variations, I haven't gone back to my old recipes! The tast is amazing and the cake is dense and moist. I did the banana recipe for some wedding cupcakes last month and it was a hit! The bride and groom came knocking to find out if I had extras or if I could do a batch for them to take with them on their honeymoon!

Do you have a link to that recipe? I'm needing a banana cake for ths week and a carrot cake for a few weeks from now. icon_smile.gif

caymancake Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 6:28am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyJG

Quote:

Do you have a link to that recipe? I'm needing a banana cake for ths week and a carrot cake for a few weeks from now. icon_smile.gif

Here it is:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7362/carrot-cake-or-banana-cake

I've done both several times and always get rave reviews! They are great as is - so very little need for tweaking - just pick whatever add-ins you want or leave them plain icon_smile.gif.

scp1127 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 8:33am
post #10 of 17

imaginethatnj, I just got Warren Brown's book last week and read it cover to cover. So this week I bought the potato starch and ordered 16 brioche tins (crunchy feet). I have not made made any of his recipes yet, so I appreciate the info on the banana cake. I already have two banana recipes... one for Bananas Foster cupcakes and one delicate recipe I pair with mocha french meringue buttercream. I don't have a "regular" banana cake recipe.

Thanks for the info. I may try this one first.

imagenthatnj Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 17

I have 3 other favorite banana recipes. This is one of the other ones that could be used for a wedding cake. The other two taste to me much like banana bread.

http://books.google.com/books?id=wl58_L_h9r4C&pg=PA105&lpg=PA105&dq=banana+cake+sky+high&source=bl&ots=eec4HfJtfE&sig=2jCI9M4OySr2AYAEE0Q8uDa87qc&hl=en&ei=VdEpTb_zDsSclgexvoCPAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CEwQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Hope the link comes through. There was a group of bloggers, about 100 of them, who baked from the Sky High cake book during a whole year, so if it doesn't come through, you can definitely do a google search for the recipe.

It's my favorite cake book for scratch cake recipes. Not so much for the frostings, which are heavy-cream based. I just replaced them with flavored IMBC.

DebbyJG Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 6:52pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:

Here it is:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7362/carrot-cake-or-banana-cake

I've done both several times and always get rave reviews! They are great as is - so very little need for tweaking - just pick whatever add-ins you want or leave them plain icon_smile.gif.

Thank you!
Have you had any issue with it being too oily? I noticed it calls for a cup and half of oil. That seems like a lot to me, but maybe it needs it?

scp1127 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:16am
post #13 of 17

Thanks imaginethatnj.

splymale Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 1:34pm
post #14 of 17

I have made a scratch banana cake for a wedding that was a huge hit. The recipe is from Rose Levy Berenbaum's Cake Bible (love, love, love her).
Her books are indespensible(sp?) for the from scratch baker.
Let me know if you would like the recipe.

uniquecreations Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:23pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:

That is the recipe i use as well I have not tried the banana yet but every time I do the carrot I get rave reviews so i'm sure the banana is just as good!!!!!!!

uniquecreations Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:28pm
post #16 of 17

Have you had any issue with it being too oily? I noticed it calls for a cup and half of oil. That seems like a lot to me, but maybe it needs it?[/quote]

I use the carrot one all the time and have not had any issues about it being oily as I stated before I always get rave reviews.

drakegore Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 6:48pm
post #17 of 17

the confetti cakes book has a absolutely wonderful real banana cake that is soooooooooooo good.
diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%