Bakery/italian/sprinkle Butter Cookies?

Baking By catherinejanuary Updated 17 Nov 2014 , 1:09am by Renee-Petro

catherinejanuary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catherinejanuary Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 3:16am
post #1 of 33

Hello all!

Butter cookies have me completely obsessed! I am a good home baker, and cookies are my specialty, but I can't find a recipe that really emulates the butter cookies I have gotten at bakeries during my life. I want to make ones like these:

or these:

but I can never get the same flavor or the same dry, crumbly texture. I know there are some professional bakers here-- would any of you divulge the secret to making these? Are they actually done with shortening and not butter? Put me out of my misery if it really is just a mix that I couldn't buy anyways!

I've caught onto the flavor emulsion thing and I have a bottle of Princess flavoring that I'm going to try but would creme bouquet be better?

All the recipes I've found on the internet are just combinations of flour, (icing) sugar and butter, some have hard-boiled egg yolk, some have a regular egg, some have cream of tartar, some have baking soda, but I've tried these and they don't have the right "bakery" texture. Does anyone have a recipe to suggest?

Thank you!

32 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 4:16am
post #2 of 33

My sentiments exactly! I was hoping to see that recipe in the Cake Boss book, but it's not there. How could he not include this staple from Italian bakeries?

And then, I sent an e-mail to someone I met a couple of years ago, whose father owns 3 Italian bakeries in NYC, asking for their recipe. Their cookies are da bomb, because if you tin them for about two weeks, and let them mature, the floury taste and crumbly texture goes away and all that's left is the butter/sugar/vanilla taste with a perfect consistency. I guess I hit a sore note, because I never heard from him.

Anyone out there have a cookie like I just described?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

catherinejanuary Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 4:27am
post #3 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I guess I hit a sore note, because I never heard from him.

I get the impression that they're carefully guarded recipes!

I hope someone shares one though, because they are my favorite cookies and I don't live by a bakery that makes them anymore. When I was little there was a bakery on Main Street in Evanston, IL that would give a free sprinkle cookie to me and my siblings (my mother never bought bakery or packaged items so this was a big deal). It isn't there anymore. My little brother especially likes them and I'd love to be able to make some for him when he comes home from touring next month.

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 4:32am
post #4 of 33

Touring? Is he a soldier or a rock star?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

catherinejanuary Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 4:47am
post #5 of 33

Not a soldier (thankfully, but no disrespect)! Far from it-- he is part of Legally Blonde the Musical's production as one of the musicians. Though he might be a rock star one day...

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 5:51am
post #6 of 33

very cool

Theresa icon_smile.gif

catherinejanuary Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 6:24am
post #7 of 33

*bump*

Just in case anyone new knows something about this mysterious cookie.

drdm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drdm99 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 33

I know the bakery by us uses an ingredient called Kernal Paste in theirs. I don't know the rest of the ingredients, but that one is definitely in there.

catherinejanuary Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 3:15am
post #9 of 33

drdm99: that is intriguing! I'll have to look up kernal paste.

drdm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drdm99 Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 33

It is used as a substitute for almond paste or marzipan. It is produced by pulverizing the pit of an apricot into a paste.

catherinejanuary Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 7:07am
post #11 of 33

I wonder if it affects the texture much, because I have several emulsion flavorings that already have almond in them...

catherinejanuary Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 8:11am
post #12 of 33

I found this video today-- it isn't exactly what I've been looking for, but it IS a piped, sandy-looking butter cookie. Of course the measurements do nothing for me and what in the world is all that "vanilla"? Probably the secret ingredient.[/url]

cliggitt08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cliggitt08 Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 6:15pm
post #13 of 33

That picture is the EXACT cookie I'm trying to make!!!!! They sell them in every grocery store.. Any luck finding a good recipe???

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 6:44pm
post #14 of 33

In the North End of Boston they use anise extract as well as other stuff.

Google turned these up in addition the the millions of others for "italian butter cookie sprinkles recipe"

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Sprinkle-Cookies

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Italian-Sprinkle-Cookies

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1610,141191-243196,00.html

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 6:47pm
post #15 of 33

Thanks for posting those links, Irene!

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 12:49am
post #16 of 33

I tried Crumb Boss' Italian Butter Spritz Cookies. These tasted exactly like the cookies I would get at the Italian bakery. I think the "secret" ingredient is almond paste. Everyone who has tried them has loved them.

http://www.crumbboss.com/italian-butter-spritz-cookie

Hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Sugarsweetcafe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarsweetcafe Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 1:46am
post #17 of 33

Thanks for the link saapena!

I have been wanting to make these cookies for years but I could never get an authentic recipe for them. Will have to try to crumb boss recipe.

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 2:25am
post #18 of 33

You are very welcome SugarSweetCafe icon_biggrin.gif ! Just make sure to follow her mixing ingredients. I may have to make them over the weekend now since just looking at the recipe causes me to really, really want them--and I have to bring dessert anyways... If you have any questions, just PM me and I will help as much as I can.

Sheryl

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 2:44pm
post #19 of 33

Thanks for the crumb boss recipe. I have been looking for a good Italian bakery butter cookie recipe.

cliggitt08 Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 11:53pm
post #20 of 33

Haha thanks Irene, but I use google too. I was wondering if anyone had actually tried and found a good recipe. I wish I had time to try every one on google. Catherine, you posted this, find anything you recommend?

cliggitt08 Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 5:46pm
post #21 of 33

Thanks saapena! I'm getting a new cookie press and trying those tonight!!

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 4:17pm
post #22 of 33

I have made the Crumb Boss Italian Cookies and they are just like the italian bakery! I moved to PA from NY and boy do I miss the italian bakeries! But it is delicious. Give it a try.

chaka1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaka1 Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 5:05pm
post #23 of 33

I enjoy watching all the Crumb Boss videos - this woman owns Woodland Bakery in Chatham, New Jersey and she makes several new videos every weekend and posts the recipes on her blog and uploads her vids to youtube. I have made several of her recipes and they have all come out great. The videos are funny.

mysticalmomentsindia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysticalmomentsindia Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 7:25am
post #24 of 33

steveproxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steveproxy Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 12:44pm
post #25 of 33

cnc74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cnc74 Posted 15 Apr 2013 , 8:43pm
post #26 of 33

I too was on the quest for the perfect Italian butter cookie!

I too lived in Evanston off Main St. (behind the ice rink)!

I hoever actually found the recepie you seek! (after a two year search for it)

Italian Bakery Butter Cookies - By CNC74

Let it be known from this day forth that CNC74 spilled the beans and gave up the famous recepie for Italian Bakery Butter Cookies!!! Risking life and limbs (yes probably multiple apendiges) and now in fear of a mob style hit in retrobution I present you the following mystery ingredients:

1. 1/2 cup - CORN STARCH!

2. 1 cup - CONFECTIONERS SUGAR

3. 1 1/2 cup - FLOUR

4. 1 Tblsp - PURE VANNILA EXTRACT

5. 2 STICKS SALTED BUTTER

6. 1 TSP - SALT

7. (OPTIONAL) 1 EGG YOLK (ADDS THE RICH YELLOW COLOR SOME HAVE REPORTED)

8. (OPTIONAL) INSTEAD OF EGG YOLK: YELLOW FOOD COLORING.

BEAT BUTTER AND VANILLA FIRST THEN ADD THE DRY INGREDIENTS. PRESS YOUR MIX WITH A WALTON COOKIE PRESS FO RBEST LOOKING RESULTS! BAKE 10 MINUTES AT 350.

NOW FOR THE TRICK TO ADDING "SPRINKLES" AFTER THE FACT.

1/4 cup - CONFECTIONERS SUGAR

TSP - WATER

MIX WELL TO A PASTE CONSISTANCY (ADD MORE WATER IF NESASARY. BRUSH ON TOP OF COOKIES AND APPLY THE SPRINKLES!

THATS IT FOLKS!

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 5:31am
post #27 of 33

AThanks for the recipe CNC. I'll have to try sometime.

MyaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyaCakes Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 11:51am
post #28 of 33

AAbout a year ago I was obsessing about these cookies, too....but the ones that have the longer shape and then dipped in chocolate and then sprinkled. I found a recipe, a very simple one and everybody I know looooooves them...I have to bring them to every party I go to! I don't know if its exactly what you're looking for...but definitely worth making!

Beat 4 sticks unsalted butter, add 1/2 cup granulated sugar and beat til fluffy....add one egg, vanilla and almond extracts (I just eyeball this, maybe 1 tsp each?)...add 4 cups all-purpose flour (I've used some cake flour on occasion as well, maybe 1 cup in addition to 3 cups AP flour)... add flour a cup at a time until blended...then I put it inthe pastry bag with a large star tip (can't think of the number, but not the 1M...the one with more "teeth" (typong this in bed now and don't feel like getting up to see which one! lol)...bake @350 for 10-15 min until lightly golden brown...let cool then dip in melted chocolate then sprinkles.

Hope this helps! When I was looking it up, the person who had this recipe said that she was told to find one without baking powder/soda....so I dont't know if that helps....hope some of you will enjoy this recipe!

ligirlstreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ligirlstreats Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 7:36pm
post #29 of 33
  • Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups AP flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Sift together the flour and salt, set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in the egg yolks, almond and vanilla extract. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.

Fill a cookie press or pastry bag with the dough.

Press the cookies about 2 inches apart onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

Decorate with colored sugar or sprinkles if desired.

You can also die the dough to make colorful cookies.

Bake for 6-8 minutes.

SweetPickles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPickles Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 7:22pm
post #30 of 33

I know this is an old thread but does anyone have the Crumboss recipe? I went to the link and the domain is expired. I would love to try this recipe. Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%