White Mff

Decorating By TheBakingNurse Updated 16 Jan 2011 , 7:34am by MelissaMay

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 2:15am
post #1 of 25

Hey everyone...I can not figure out how to make my mff white. I use clear extracts. Any ideas?

24 replies
TEI-BEE-BEE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TEI-BEE-BEE Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 2:37am
post #2 of 25

what do u use to make ur mmf? i just use powdered sugar and marshmallow fluff...mine is always white

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 4:06am
post #3 of 25

Hummm , mine is always white , I use marsh mallows clear vanilla and ps , I add just a bit of white americolor to make it even whiter icon_smile.gif

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 25

My mmf doesn't come out stark white either. It is more ivory than white. I think I will start adding some white food coloring as well. Thanks for the tip icon_sad.gifthumbs_up.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBakingNurse

Hey everyone...I can not figure out how to make my mff white. I use clear extracts. Any ideas?

If you use cream to make it, instead use milk and switch the butter out with shortening and then use clear vanilla. Plus add the white food coloring. HTH

TheBakingNurse Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 4:24am
post #6 of 25

Thanks, I use just marshmallows powder sugar and clear extracts. Its always an ivory color

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 4:51am
post #7 of 25

sometimes older marshmallows aren't really stark white. or maybe the brand. anywho, add a little white icing color to liven it up.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:11am
post #8 of 25

I have never in my life seen WHITE fondant. Even the commercial stuff dries to a dingy white. And that brand that sells White-White Fondant dries to the same dingy white.

I make my own MMF and it also dries to a faded ivory white. I make sure my brides know there is no such thing as stark white fondant. At least I've never seen it no matter who made it. If you can get yours Stark White - awesome for you!!

Now that being said, I've never added Wilton's White -White coloring. I know it works on BC. So I will try it in my MMF.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 25

When I have a request for a WHITE fondant, I always add white color to the batch of MMF. Otherwise it is definitely off white to cream color, depending on the marshmallows

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 25

I noticed a difference in colors using different brands of marshmallows. In particular, the Walmart Brand is always off white. I prefer Kraft Jet Puffed.

learnincakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learnincakes Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 25

I to use Jet Puffed, they seem much whiter than other brands.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:31pm
post #12 of 25

OP is not asking about marshmallow Fondant [MMF]
She is asking about Michele Foster's Fondant [MFF], which does not contain marshmallows, unless she mistyped.

My MFF also comes out a little off white, more-so than my MMF. I think the gelatin and corn syrup cause this. I've never used the Wilton white-white color. But it seems like a good start.

metria Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:42pm
post #13 of 25

I'll confess that I haven't used the Wilton white on fondant, only on modeling chocolate. It seemed to work well though. It's not a gel, it's more liquidy ... it actually looked a lot like white-out.

Left is modeling chocolate + Wilton white. Right is the original modeling chocolate.

Neelas_wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neelas_wife Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:46pm
post #14 of 25

I use powdered sugar + mmf - Mine turns out white....

metria Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:54pm
post #15 of 25

I'm reviewing a MMF tutorial I made a while ago. You can see all the ingredients look white, but the final product is not.

http://cakeoricandothat.blogspot.com/2009/12/marshmallow-fondant-mmf-tutorial.html

tryingcake Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:56pm
post #16 of 25

I watched a Good Eats episode where Alton Brown (my hero, I will marry him someday - hehehe) made his own marshmallows... I've been really tempted.....

artscallion Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:57pm
post #17 of 25

Again, the OP is not asking about marshmallow fondant. She is asking about Michele Foster's Fondant which has a completely different list of ingredients, not all of them pure white.

tryingcake Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 7:02pm
post #18 of 25

Regardless of what brand she is talking about - it looks as though she/we need to be adding "White-White" or something to get WHITE fondant. I think that's all everyone is pointing out - no matter what ingredients you use, no matter what brand you use, no matter what;s written in the label, it's not white when dry. That's what I took away from this. Not people misunderstanding she was talking about MFF and not MMF.

What she is doing is not producing the results she wants. Therefore, she obviously needs to try another method. This is whether she adds something to her present choice or changes her method completely.

I thought it was helpful that people gave different recipes/brands but confirmed that the resulting color was always the same. It's not just her or her choice of fondant.

artscallion Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 7:23pm
post #19 of 25

I wasn't discounting the replies as unhelpful. But it was clear to me that people thought she meant MMF because most of their advice involved using fresher or different kinds of marshmallows.

But MFF doesn't even use marshmallows. MFF is not a brand. It is a well known recipe here containing corn syrup, glucose, gelatin, cream, and other off-white ingredients. No marshmallows. So when everyone kept making suggestions about using different marshmallows, or fresher marshmallows, etc, it was clear to me that they were confusing the two. So I pointed this. Everyone continued talking about marshmallows. So I assumed no one read my first post and pointed it out again.

I'm glad the talk about marshmallows and other kinds of fondant was helpful to you. I wasn't saying that the posts weren't helpful to somebody. I was trying to make sure the misunderstanding was cleared up, because I disagree with you. I do think it's important to know what recipe and ingredients you're talking about before you start suggesting changes. Especially to something as finicky as fondant. Maybe the OP is mistakenly using golden corn syrup instead of light corn syrup. But you can't talk about that if you aren't even aware there's corn syrup in her recipe.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 7:39pm
post #20 of 25

Yes, is she asking about mff(michele fosters fondant) or mmf(marshmellow fondant. I am reading michele foster's fondant which i another whole story. I,ve made michele's rescipe and it is delicious, but it doesn,t come out white per se. hth

metria Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 8:15pm
post #21 of 25

oh i figured the OP mis-typed it cuz she said this

Quote:

Thanks, I use just marshmallows powder sugar and clear extracts. Its always an ivory color

artscallion Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 8:33pm
post #22 of 25

Thanks Metria. I was going by her thread title and first post that said,

Quote:

I guess she did mistype. I should have read the rest of the thread as carefully as I was expecting everyone else to read the beginning. icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 10:22pm
post #23 of 25

Kraft marshmallows make a whiter fondant than the Campfire brand. Campfire brand is very ivory.

TheBakingNurse Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:25am
post #24 of 25

I am sorry I meant mmf rather than mff.... Thanks for all the input I will try the white food coloring

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 7:34am
post #25 of 25

this may have been answered...I always use store bought fondant but would like to try mmf....are there aplications in which it should not be used? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%