Cupcake Filling

Baking By ladybluebird Updated 26 Jan 2011 , 10:02pm by tryingcake

ladybluebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybluebird Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 1:07am
post #1 of 21

Is there a recipe for filling a cupcake? Can you just use normal buttercream? I got a tool for Christmas to fill cupcakes but I have no idea what to do with it. Do you just bake normal cupcakes and if you do, do you have to carve out a little inside for the filling? Thanks for your help!!!! icon_redface.gif

20 replies
GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 1:11am
post #2 of 21

You don't have to carve out a hole if you don't want to. Just add your filling in your pastry bag and poke the tip in the middle of the cupcake. Squeeze while filling and slowly pull the tip out. There are many filling recipes in the recipe section of CC. Or you can buy premade fillings. icon_smile.gif

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 1:33am
post #3 of 21

I usually take a bit of the middle out using an apple corer..and fill

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 12:10pm
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by multilayered

I usually take a bit of the middle out using an apple corer..and fill

Same here! thumbs_up.gif
Jodi

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 12:44am
post #5 of 21

I used to do that but you can save a ton of time by just squeezing it in. If you have 100 or so cupcakes to make it makes a difference. icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 1:41am
post #6 of 21

I use the bismark tip, I also find it takes to much time to core a hole. I poke in the tip, "swirl" the cupcake around the tip to help create a hole for the filling, then squeeze and pull out slowly. The "swirling" or twisting the cupcake around the tip helps push soem of the cake out of the way and create more room for the filling.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 3:11am
post #7 of 21

I use the Wilton tip made to fill cupcakes with - you can anything you want to fill them with.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 3:26am
post #8 of 21

I end up carving a whole, because the cake always clogs my tip. I used the Bismarck tip. How do I resolve that problem?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 3:52am
post #9 of 21

I use the Bismark tip also. Just as described above.

tryingcake Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:35am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

I end up carving a whole, because the cake always clogs my tip. I used the Bismarck tip. How do I resolve that problem?

Really? I mean, I believe you - but even with you pushing the icing through the bag? I've never had that issue. Weird. Just seems not possible, Is your icing really thick?

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 5:17pm
post #11 of 21

No, my icing isn't thick. Usually I'm using Swiss buttercream with a touch of fruit puree. I only use thick icing for making roses. I'll have to give it another try and see what happens.

tryingcake Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:02pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

No, my icing isn't thick. Usually I'm using Swiss buttercream with a touch of fruit puree. I only use thick icing for making roses. I'll have to give it another try and see what happens.

I can't even begin to think why that would happen. Let us know what you figure out.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:29pm
post #13 of 21

I recently purchased the cupcake genius pan that bakes a well into the middle. I love it. You can see how it works here. http://www.keeponcaking.com/2010/10/cupcake-genius-pan-is-genius/
I think you have to buy them from an Avon rep. I like that it's the perfect amount of filling. Also personally I prefer a filling other than straight buttercresm because there is so much BC on the top of my cupcakes.

tryingcake Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 10:56pm
post #14 of 21

I honestly dont see the point. Cupcakes are super easy to fill. Filling them with a proper tip means not having to clean that cupcake genius thing.

I dont know I just see it a waste of money when its really not needed. I try not to buy gadgets that can't serve more than once purpose.

This is how I fill mine:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/105830324epGFhn?vhost=home-and-garden

easy peasy

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 11:26pm
post #15 of 21

I completely see your point about it being an extra gadget but I've had bad luck with tip filling. I can never get a consistent amount, thicker fillings can be a pain and thiswast I can use nuts and things that would generally clog a tip or be unusable altogether. I had used the apple corer but this is faster for me. It's just another option for people looking to fill cupcakesicon_smile.gif

kerriganscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerriganscookies Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 6:48pm
post #16 of 21

Hi, this is my first post icon_smile.gif! wondering about using fillings in cupcakes too. would a filling last longer inside a cupcake, rather than using a frosting on the outside? trying to figure out which would be the best to do - food safety wise.

thanks icon_smile.gif

tryingcake Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 8:33pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerriganscookies

Hi, this is my first post icon_smile.gif! wondering about using fillings in cupcakes too. would a filling last longer inside a cupcake, rather than using a frosting on the outside? trying to figure out which would be the best to do - food safety wise.

thanks icon_smile.gif

It would depend on the filing and the icing.

kerriganscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerriganscookies Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 9:26pm
post #18 of 21

sorry, that would have been more helpful to mention. I'd like to use buttercream...and a filling that has butter as one of the ingredients.

thanks icon_smile.gif!

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 9:30pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

I honestly dont see the point. Cupcakes are super easy to fill. Filling them with a proper tip means not having to clean that cupcake genius thing.

I dont know I just see it a waste of money when its really not needed. I try not to buy gadgets that can't serve more than once purpose.

This is how I fill mine:

easy peasy

Because you can put additions to your filling that won't fit through your tips and don't waste batter like apple corers. All my batter goes to my cupcakes. I'm not really into cake balls.

tryingcake Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 9:58pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerriganscookies

sorry, that would have been more helpful to mention. I'd like to use buttercream...and a filling that has butter as one of the ingredients.

thanks icon_smile.gif!

Well, you have to ice it ether way, right? Or are you talking about filling and no icing?

It takes a long time for butter to go rancid unless it's super hot - Desert hot.

tryingcake Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 10:02pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

This is how I fill mine:

easy peasy

Because you can put additions to your filling that won't fit through your tips and don't waste batter like apple corers. All my batter goes to my cupcakes. I'm not really into cake balls.

Wasting the batter isn't an issue for me since I use a filler tip. I can see where it would be with an apple corer. I guess some people may want a fresh fruit filling other than a puree. I'm one of those people that does not want chunks of fruit in my cupcakes - or my jello. Gross. (and I love fresh fruit - just not in stuff) So that never occurred to me.

Honestly, it still doesn't seem that deep to do what you all are saying you can do with it. And then it's not topped off. I guess unless I see how it works for myself, I'm not gonna grasp it. Even after all these "yeah but's"... it still seems like a waste of cash to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%