Stupid Customers

Decorating By reginaherrin Updated 11 Jan 2011 , 2:45am by crp7

reginaherrin Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 12:30am
post #1 of 7

I just had to vent a little about my recent stupid customer. So this bride orders a turntable grooms cake and a 2 tier wedding cake. She really needed a 3 tier cake but she found a picture of a cake that she had to have which was only 2 tiers. So she was trying to save some money and wanted to pick the cakes up herself. I advised her how bad that can be and what can go wrong but she would not change her mind and you can't make someone get their cake delivered.

I gave her my contract which has tips about picking your own cake up, like bringing a van or suv, having the cake in an a/c area and keeping it flat. So she shows up to pick her cake up in a CAR. Both cakes are in semi big boxes, one was in a 14" box the other in a 16".

I take the wedding cake out to her car and she grabs the grooms cake. She then proceeded to put the cake in the trunk and was about to put the wedding cake as well. I told her they should totally not be in the trunk since it gets no a/c and it can slide around without you knowing.

Then she wants to put the wedding cake on the seat in the back. I again had to stop her because the seat is not flat. At which point she says that it has to go somewhere in the car in a semi rude tone. We finally fit it on the floorboard. I told her that once it leaves if something happens to it it is not my responsibility and got her to sign off on it. I haven't heard anything about it so I'm sure it is fine but I just was dumbfounded by her. Just had to share.

6 replies
Kandis Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 12:51am
post #2 of 7

Wow! Some people! Bet you were glad to see her tail lights!

leah_s Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 1:02am
post #3 of 7

I have the "What type of vehicle will you be transporting the cake in?" in advance of cake pickup.

Goonergirl Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 1:40am
post #4 of 7

A little background info..........I require that all my small cakes be picked up. I have all the info on my website to help them, like "have a flat spot ready...etc. I pass the savings on to the customer, and it lets me stay home. I ALWAYS deliver large cakes, and factor in the pricing. Anyway.....

Because of this, I have MANY horror stories of people arriving to pick up their cake. I can't count the number of people who show up with their rambunctious little dog jumping all over the vehicle. Where did they think they would put the cake? Did they think their dog would stay away from the cake? I don't know. I remain calm, while they try to figure this out.

Others try to clear a little space somewhere in their mess of a vehicle that has everything but the kitchen sink in it. Again, I remain calm while they try to figure this out. Did they realize they were going to have to put a cake somewhere in there? I don't know.

Others tell me they will just put it on the front seat. I tell them that most likely it is sloped. I remain calm while they try to wedge up the seat to make it level. Did they think the cake would not slip and slide? I don't know.

I guess that's my little vent on the subject too, but also letting you know that you're not alone.

reginaherrin Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:23am
post #5 of 7

Yeah I love it when they just want to throw it on the seat, do they really think a tiered cake can survive riding sloped the whole ride?

Ebonyswanne Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:39am
post #6 of 7

Some people don't put much thought into it do they when it comes to transporting delicate things like cakes. I tell them that if they want to pick it up, thats okay and did what you did, let them know once it leaves its their responsibility. I do tell them in advance to bring something to even up the seat to a more level position and a non-slip mat. (Highly recommended.) Sometimes the seat belt fits low around the cake box which helps.

crp7 Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 2:45am
post #7 of 7

Don't forget the 'I brought so and so along to hold the cake on their lap'!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%