Nephews Birthdays

Decorating By babeegrl87 Updated 22 Jan 2011 , 6:54am by babeegrl87

babeegrl87 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 9

I have 2 nephews celebrating their 6 and 9th birthdays next Friday. I am fairly new and am limited on the supplies that I have to work with and my level of skill. I am hoping that someone might be able to give me some ideas for a Lego themed cake for the 6 year old and a baseball themed cake for the 9 year old.

8 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 9

Make a baseball stadium out of huge lego blocks, either cut from sheet cakes or loaf cakes.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

myslady Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 9

are you doing one cake or 2.

lego figures playing baseball. or a lego looking baseball field.

TheBakingNurse Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 9

If it's 1 cake misladys idea sounds amazing... Do you use fondant or Buttercream? If you look at my pics I made a Lego cake out of fondant the Lego pieces were fondant rolled out and cut into rectangles I used a piping tip to cut out the circles on the legos. I hope this helps

hollyml Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 4:16am
post #7 of 9

Given the short timeframe you have and your own assessment of your skills, I'd stick with simple.

The easiest Lego cake to make (but people are really impressed by it!) is a single large brick. Bake a rectangle (you might bake one large rectangular cake, cut it into thirds and stack the thirds together -- voila, a three-layer cake with about the right proportions for a Lego brick) and then add the round studs on top. Depending on the size of your rectangle, for the studs you can use cake or brownies or thickly rolled fondant cut out with a round biscuit cutter, or premade round cookies, or marshmallows cut in half. The trickiest part is frosting the studs; I found that putting each one on a flower nail helped, and then I froze them before placing on the cake so that I could handle them without munging up the frosting.

The easiest baseball cake is probably a baseball. icon_smile.gif Use a ball pan, frost white and ipipe on the "stitching." A big bat probably wouldn't be too hard either. Or you could do cupcakes -- they are already round -- and top them with fondant discs that look like baseballs. The "stitching" would be drawn on with a food coloring marker.

babeegrl87 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:10am
post #8 of 9

OH THANK YOU ALL SOOOOO MUCH!!! so many ideas to play with, unfortunately one thing I am lacking is a ball pan, I wanted to get one for the baby bump cake but finances just wouldn't allow. I will post pictures when I am done with the cakes thanks again for all the great ideas and input!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

babeegrl87 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 6:54am
post #9 of 9

ok so sorry it took me so lon to get the pics but things have been hectic.

here is a link to the Lego cake

and here is a link to the baseball cake

The icing on the baseball did not want to work with me plus i had a very shaky hand at the time. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%