Pet Treat Baking Regulations

Lounge By Bethroze Updated 12 Jan 2011 , 9:38am by scp1127

Bethroze Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 5

Due to harsh state regulations and not wanting to deal with creative difference of opinion problems with cake baking and decorating, I am looking into pet treats. Does anyone know if the regulations would be similar to food meant for human consumption???

4 replies
scp1127 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 10:21am
post #2 of 5

States regulate animal feed and inspect the premesis just like human food, although not as strict. I have posted this before... make sure all of the requirements are met and you are sure of your recipes. I would have the recipe analized. Some states require an FDA type nutritional label which requires lab analysis. If your product makes a dog sick, a dog-crazy pet owner like me would be not be nice about it. My father's business was a gourmet horse feed geared to athletic horses. He was once sued over the death of a horse. Two years later after an autopsy, feed analysis, and lawyer fees, he was innocent. My point is to make sure you are above reproach by having all licenses, and approved recipes. I don't know where you live, but our state started with the state dept of agriculture.

Notice all dog food and treats have a nutritional label, even most of the home baked ones in boutiques. Also, animals can have known allergies and sensitivities which can be avoided with nutritional analysis.

Bethroze Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks scp1127...Labeling and analysis would not be an issue. I really would need to know if it is legal to bake in your home kitchen. I am in Georgia which does not have a cottage law. I adore and rescue retired racing greyhounds. Believe me, I have learned about allergies and sensitive tummies the hard way. I just know they wouldn't complain if the color of the treat doesn't match their dress exactly. ;o)

Bethroze Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 5

or, should I say, match their collar exactly... Ha!

scp1127 Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 9:38am
post #5 of 5

You sound like the right person for the job! Check with your Dept of Agriculture. My dad got his analysis from Virginia Tech Vet School, but you have a vet school at the University of Georgia. The FDA could do the analysis and they are very inexpensive. The vet school would probably look over your recipes and make suggestions too. Good luck in your endeavor. I don\\'t think it will be hard to get licensed, just watch out for those crazy pet owners like me! Kidding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%