Football Helmet Face Mask Advise On How To Make One Please

Decorating By Peridot Updated 8 Jan 2011 , 5:50pm by artscallion

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 2

I am seriously thinking about making a Green Bay Packer Helmet for my grandson's birthday March 4th.

I have looked at all of the photos on CC and read everything that I can on CC and on the internet but I can't find anything on how to make the face mask. When making it out of gum paste/fondant mixture how do you keep it from breaking? I have read time and time again when people make the tiaras how they break.

Do you use wire? Do you make all of the separate pieces, dry them on something to give them the curved shape and then glue them together with melted chocolate? I need some helpful hints before I start this and get frustrated and the gum paste ends up in the garbage.

I also need to make the dark forest green color gum paste and I can't seem to get it dark enough and always ends up to black or it has a blue green look to it.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I work full time and can only work on this on the weekends and I need to get started make the mask part as I am sure that the first two or three won't turn out and then it has to be thoroughly dried.

Thanks.

1 reply
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 2

I don't generally like to use inedible things like wire hidden inside of something that someone might bite into when you're not looking. This applies particularly when a cake is being served at an event that I will not be at.

That said, there are times that it is just the best option. I used wire for the handle of the teapot in my pics. Bent it to shape and then molded the gumpaste around it. It worked really well. Of course it was for my own consumption at home, so I didn't need to worry about anyone trying to eat it.

Since this is for your grandson's party, will you be there to remove it at serving time or just make sure no one takes a bite out of it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%