Quick--Hdi Get Sprinkles To Stick On The Side Of The Cake?

Decorating By bfranzen Updated 10 Jan 2011 , 6:21am by tryingcake

bfranzen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfranzen Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 6

How do I get sugar sprinkles to stick on the side of the cake? (buttercream) I'm working on a "winter wonderland" cake with snowflakes on the side and would like to sprinkle them with sugar for effect.
Thanks!

5 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 6

if the buttercream hasnt crusted, just use your hand/ a spoon to scoop them agains the side. if it has crusted, brush a little water or piping gel over the surface.
xx

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 6

To get sanding sugar to stick to side of my crusted buttercream cakes, I paint thinned cornsyrup down then sprinkle the sugar over. The sugar that doesn't stick can be used again. Example:
http://family.webshots.com/photo/2006808020048684272zaopkE

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 6

Mine still seem to land on the board instead of the sides. I used to have the tilting cake stand which helped - until two cakes fell off it and broke! I'm also interested in hearing everyone's ideas about this.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 3:16am
post #5 of 6

Have you ever put chopped nuts on the side of a cake? Same idea with the sparkling sugar. Put the sugar in the palm of your hand and sort of roll it up the side. And do this before the bc crusts!!! Have a bowl underneath to carch the sugar that falls off. I can do a four tier cake in 20 minutes max.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 6:21am
post #6 of 6

This is how I do it. Once you open the link, it's that and the next 5 pics. Good luck!

Super super simple.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%