Large Batch Frosting - Without Air Bubbles??

Baking By kimkake Updated 8 Jan 2011 , 6:52pm by kimkake

kimkake Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 4

I received a larger kitchen-aid mixer, the 6 quart, and I made a couple batches of Sugarshack's buttercream - I even got new measurements straight from her, but I can't get the batches to come out smooth. I only mix it on speed 2 and it still was full of little air bubbles. Any suggestions or measurements from anyone to make is smooth in the larger mixer?

3 replies
Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 4

I have a 6 qt and the recipe I use, I can fit 8 lbs of powdered sugar in the mixer (I think that's about the same as sugarshack recipe, slight variations). You will have to use a pouring shield and it can end up slightly above the edge of the bowl for awhile (so hold the shield tight!) but then it mixes to a perfectly full and smooth bowl full of icing.

Loucinda Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 4

I use the sugarshack recipe (make sure you are using the one that is for the size mixer you have) I also have the 6 qt. and it uses 6 lb. powdered sugar. The trick is to make sure the bowl is COMPLETELY filled when beating it. It always comes out smooth as silk for me, Love that recipe!

kimkake Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, that's the recipe I've been using - with 6lbs. of pow. sugar. Do you use
3lbs of shortening then - that just doesn't seem to fill the bowl up - I guess I'll add more of each until it is full to the top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%