Caramel Frosting Help

Baking By Acjohnson Updated 10 Jan 2011 , 8:54pm by Acjohnson

Acjohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acjohnson Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 15

I looked up and attempted 2 recipes on this site and they both do not resemble the smooth airy texture I am looking for.
Does anyone use caramel ice cream topping an add to buttercream? I think I may try this next.

14 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 15

I use sugarshack's recipe, and to get caramel, I use caramel flavored coffee creamer for the liquid.

I am sure adding the caramel ice cream topping into it would work too. Just make sure it is a good kind (Mrs. Richardson's is great).

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 15

I have never had much luck with a caramel icing that was light and fluffy. I do like to use Nestle's canned Dulche de Leche.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000GIOP2/?tag=cakecentral-20

I find in the Latin food section of the grocery store. It makes an excellent filling by itself, but I can also use it to whip into my regular buttercream. It's very yummy, but also harder to work with.

birdlady9771 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdlady9771 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 15

I use my regular buttercream recipe (butter, ps & vanilla) and add a jar of good quality caramel ice cream topping. If it seems too thin, just thicken up with more ps. Tastes great!

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 15

I will second Jennifer's vote for Dulce de Leche. I use a can of it with a single batch of Indy Debi's BC and then add enough PS to get the consistency I like.

Super yummy & a huge hit every time I use it.

I get the Dulce de Leche in the hispanic foods section of Walmart. I keep a stockpile since I use it so often for BC.

Kristy

Acjohnson Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks for the great suggestions! I found a recipe using light brown sugar I am going to try that before I head to the store and try something you all suggested.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 15

I watching Caprial and John on PBS last night and she make a caramel ganache that might work for you. The show said the recipe would be on their site, but I don't see it:

http://www.caprialandjohnskitchen.com/recipes/index.php?c=5

She put sugar in a large skillet, added water, let it sit (unstirred) to boil until the bubbles covered the entire surface of the pan/sugar. Then she occasionally swirled the pan until the sugar was a darkish caramel color. After that, she added 1 cup of cream, and swirled it again. When it was all incorporated, she took it off the heat to cool. Once cooled, she said to add 3 more cups of cream and whip it to consistency.

I don't recall the amount of sugar or water.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 15
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 15

I also use the dulce de leche with smbc. I prefer it to the caramel ice cream topping because I do not want the flavor of the frosting to overwhelm the flavor of the cake, when I make my reverse turtle cake.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Acjohnson Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 11:43pm
post #10 of 15

Looks I will be trying Nestle's canned Dulche de Leche next. The other recipe was more of a filling which I will use but still not like fluffy buttercream.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 11:48pm
post #11 of 15

If you can't find it in your stores, you can make it very easily in the microwave.

Do a google for the phrase

microwave dulce de leche

there are different methods, so pick the one you're most comfortable with.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Acjohnson Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 3:29am
post #12 of 15

So I left the last recipe out for a bit before tossing it, for some odd reason I decided to whip it again with the mixer and viola, great texture and it's pipeable (if that's even a word)!!
The next test is how will it turn out once refrigerated.

lacey88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacey88 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 8:33pm
post #13 of 15

i love this recipe. very light and fluffy!

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/caramel-buttercream

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 8:41pm
post #14 of 15

I just made some caramel machiatto cupcake and topped them with DH caramel frosting that had 4 C. prewhipped Bettercream folded into it . Yummy!

Acjohnson Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 8:54pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Show

I just made some caramel machiatto cupcake and topped them with DH caramel frosting that had 4 C. prewhipped Bettercream folded into it . Yummy!

GOOD IDEA!!

I just found a caramel syrup in the coffee isle at Walmart. I'm all for experimenting until I get what I am looking for!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%