Celebrating Bdays 40, 60, & 80!

Decorating By kello Updated 9 Jan 2011 , 3:37pm by kello

kello Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 9

My family is celebrating some big birthdays in a few months at one big party. My husband and I are turning 40, his dad is 60 and his grandfather is 80. Guess who is in charge of the cake? ME! I more or less have left me out of the celebration since it's mostly all his family that are invited and I am helping with the organizing, so the cake is for three men. I'm not sure if I should do three separate cakes or one big one? I think three different ones would take more time...... which will be tight. How do you make one cake for different people and still have it look good and kind of blend together. I don't want it to look like I just stuck three cakes together and have it look awful. icon_sad.gif
Has anyone done this or have some suggestions?
Thanks for any input!

8 replies
Mommyofseven Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 9

There is a cute decade cake in the gallery that inspired my decade cakes. I had a family celebrating from the 20s-2000s. I did a separate cake for each decade and it did take a lot of time but was fun. Is there a hobby each one enjoys or maybe a road of life cake starting with the oldest and working your way to the youngest or vise/versa.

kello Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for your input.....do you have a link for the decade cake? I like the idea of a road of life.....that could work to blend them.

brincess_b Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 9

how many people is the cake to feed? or are you happy to make more cake than needed?

i dont like cakes that combine lots of random unrelated things, they arent easy to get right. random hobbies and faveourite foods, cars that one loves, whent he other is an eco freak...
so id find something everyone loves - tv show, pizza, whatever, and run with that, if you are going for the one cake approach.
or just go with the generic - candy theme, stripes, retro dots, balloons!
edible images might work too, pictures of the four of you as babies, teenagers, on holiday, at xmas etc.

i know some people dont care about older birthdays, but id still be unimpressed at sharing a cake! so individual cakes might be worth it. might be nice to run a theme/ colour through them? or make each cake kinda the same, in terms of shape and colours, but with each persons number on it. aand could just be mini cakes so theres not too much excess.

Mommyofseven Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 9

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1202949 If the link does work it is a cake done by paolacaracas.

kello Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 9

I agree brincess-b......I didn't want random hobbies and such thrown together.....it would never look right. Not too sure on number of people yet, but at least 50 for sure. I don't mind having extra cake at all, it will get eaten!
I would much prefer three separate cakes, it's just that my time will be limited, but if I do an all nighter or two it can be done! icon_smile.gif I really wanted to do unique cakes for each person.....I know what you mean about sharing a cake. My daughters' b-days are a week apart and I never blend their bdays!

Mommyofseven, I love that cake, and the stand they used. Thanks for the link. I could manage different cakes of that size (or a bit bigger).

I was even thinking of maybe a scrapbook cake for each with edible pics covering their years.

Thank you so much, it has given me a starting point and lots to think about.

brincess_b Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 9

Oh the idea of a scrapbook cake sounds great, especially if they actually look like a scrapbook!

DaPom Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 9

Do all the birthday folks live in the same town? If you have a recent picture of them all together, or recent of them seperate, you might think about a "hometown newspaper" with the pics on the front. I did this cake for my Grandpa's 90th birthday with a picture taken that Christmas.

Since my gramps is 90, he doesn't really have any hobbies besides walking out to the mailbox to get the paper every day and reading it on the front porch... so that's where the newspaper cake got started. And the flat sheet cake woked well since I had to send it across the country to him.

kello Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 9

Oh, a newspaper article is a great idea. You did a great job on that cake. Love the ideas....again, thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%