Help With Shoe Cake!

Decorating By MandaMoh3 Updated 9 Jan 2011 , 1:19pm by cakesrock

MandaMoh3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandaMoh3 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:57am
post #1 of 4

OK, so I'm making a lemon cake w/ cream cheese frosting, this is the carving I've got so far but am trying to replicate a Reebok Zig shoe but can't figure out how to get the curve in the ankle area. Should I cut it or create it out of fondant?? This is my first time carving ANYTHING, so I'm nervous to cut it and then not be able to fix my mistake.

3 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:06am
post #2 of 4

Okay, now that I looked it up and know what that type of shoe looks like, I would definitely continue with the carving. You are doing well so far... Just pop it back in the freezer (I always carve frozen or semi frozen- you have more control) and just take little bits off at a time. And don't use a really sharp knife....I prefer a steak knife.
As for the curve, looking at it from the side will give you the best perspective to continue carving. Remember you can always play with icing and cake and fondant after to repair and enhance. The carving just gives you the basic shape to work from....
Good luck and please post pics after!

MandaMoh3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandaMoh3 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much Cakes! I'm just super nervous, the cake is for Sunday and I REALLY don't have time to make another one with a full time job and 20 mo old twin boys! Lol I think I know exactly how to finish carving it though. Fingers crossed! icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaMoh3

Thanks so much Cakes! I'm just super nervous, the cake is for Sunday and I REALLY don't have time to make another one with a full time job and 20 mo old twin boys! Lol I think I know exactly how to finish carving it though. Fingers crossed! icon_smile.gif

Oh, I understand - have wee ones and a busy job, myself! But don't worry, even if you take off a bit too much, you can always add chunks of cake back onto the shoe to fix it. I have done this many times. I'm assuming that you are using fondant, as well? Fondant can always be added in sections to cover mistake too . And remember, it's not the making of perfect cakes that makes you a good cake decorator, but the fixing of imperfections!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%