Wrinkle!

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 10 Jan 2011 , 1:47am by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:43am
post #1 of 11

Wow I hardly EVER get wrinkled fondant...but I finished (mostly) a five tiered topsy turvy cake, with cutout places to support each tier...everything supported very well.

ONE tier, the very middle one, got wrinkled fondant at the base....a pretty bad wrinkle/ridge actually. icon_cry.gif I did use a softer, non-crusting icing but still, I've done that before.... And there's absolutely nothing I can do about it either. Its at the side of the cake so hopefully it won't be too noticeable, but its definitely noticeable. It happens to be the tier that I had problems with the satin ice and had to do over a second time so I don't know if somehow it got a little messed up when I was messing with the fondant...or if somehow my supports weren't quite perfect and it leaned a little in the cake, or what. No other tier wrinkled or seemed compromised as far as stability at all.

Grrr.

Days like this I'm like...."And I'm doing this, WHY????" Big huge cakes like this make me SOOO nervous, still!!!!!!! I guess because its so much money to have to refund if something goes wrong.....

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:33am
post #2 of 11

Can you try and stick a flower over it or something to hide the wrinkle?

Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:36am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Can you try and stick a flower over it or something to hide the wrinkle?

No...it happens to be the center tier where its plain fondant and a fondant ribbon wrapped around the center, and a bow in front. thumbsdown.gif I tried to think of how to cover it, and even increased the size of the border/ball/beads at that part but...eh....

Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:38am
post #4 of 11

Oh that is so frustrating....can you add another band of ribbon?I know..I know...I'm stretching it....there has to be a way!

Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:40am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Oh that is so frustrating....can you add another band of ribbon?I know..I know...I'm stretching it....there has to be a way!

I thought about it but its not what she ordered..... and there's really no way to make it look "on purpose"...I think I'm going to do better just to leave the sorry looking wrinkle then to try to cover it. haha.

My hubby keeps telling me it will be so dark in there, nobody will really notice. We'll see....

If she complains then...oh well. Deal with it later.... Its been one of those weeks!!!!

Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:50am
post #6 of 11

Yeah..I hear yah....here's to hoping she don't care and doesn't want any money back!!

Kitagrl Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:52am
post #7 of 11

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

mbark Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:11am
post #8 of 11

any feedback from the mom? the cake (now in "most saved today") is completely gorgeous!!

Kitagrl Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:14am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

any feedback from the mom? the cake (now in "most saved today") is completely gorgeous!!

She did love it...thanks! I guess the wrinkle was not too big of an issue. Phew!

Karen421 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:24am
post #10 of 11

I know it's to late, but if it happens again, you might be able to take a piece of matching fondant and cover the wrinkle - up to the ribbon - then put on the ribbon. No one will notice the extra band since it butts up to the ribbon. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:47am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I know it's to late, but if it happens again, you might be able to take a piece of matching fondant and cover the wrinkle - up to the ribbon - then put on the ribbon. No one will notice the extra band since it butts up to the ribbon. icon_smile.gif

Good thought...but it still wouldn't have laid flat because it was a pretty large ripple....almost like a horizontal pleat. Actually it was such a pleat that my hubby said maybe it could pass for having done it on purpose. haha.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%