2 Difficult Cakes

Decorating By TheBakingNurse Updated 8 Jan 2011 , 9:47pm by TheBakingNurse

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:40am
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone! I need some help with a couple cakes. 1st one- the client wants a tie dye effect with fondant, pink camouflage daisies and a pink tiara with the birthday girls name on tiara. She wants 2 tiers. With a tie dye vanilla cake. So my ? Is how do I make this "flow"

2nd cake- I have the design down but not sure if I should use a non edible Dora doll or sculpt it myself and not sure of flavors...she left everything from design to flavors up to me. I Don't like to use non edible components but a few friends have mentioned how their kids just love the "keepsakes" any input would be greatly appreciated...thanks

3 replies
hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:41am
post #2 of 4

Tie dye and camo, now there's a combination just begging to be topped with a tiara. icon_lol.gif I think just make the tie dye the same pink scheme as the camo (I think pink camo is usually one or two shades of pink plus cream and grey, right?), and it'll work. I'd do tie dye on one tier and the camo daisies on the other.

For the Dora cake, keep in mind that making your own doll is probably a trademark violation. If you're selling this cake, it's safer to use a purchased figure. If the cake is for a kids' birthday party I wouldn't worry too much about amazing flavors; a simple white or chocolate is fine.

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 4

Tie-dye suggestion ===use a cheap brush and pounce on colours all over cake. Maybe stick to 3 colours. A big brush is better. Overlap the colours if you want. I am trying to remember if I used lemon juice over fondant to get colours to stick or maybe a crisco sheen. Did this about 3 years ago. If using buttercream let it firm up a bit and don't hit too hard with brush.
Have to warn you the colour gets all over because you are dusting cake. So you might want to put paper or plastic wrap on work area..... Not to mention clothes got a bit messy. ( It was a 3 tier wedding cake so alot got dusted).

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both for your suggestions...you have been very helpful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%