Strawberry Cake

Baking By MissCuteCupcakes Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 4:24pm by sadsmama

MissCuteCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCuteCupcakes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 8

I never had strawberry cake and I just got the weirdest craving for it and I'd like to turn it into a practice zebra cake....so any good recipes out there??

It can be from scratch, a cake mix extender, or just a good old box mix from a good brand.

TIA

7 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 8

I've had good luck adapting the WASC recipe here on CC for strawberry cake. I use strawberry yogurt instead of sour cream and add some LorAnn strawberry flavoring oil. It's a pretty dense but moist cake. I have swirled strawberry sleeve filling into the batter but I think that was overkill.

HTH
Kristy

MissCuteCupcakes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 8

thanks! I've never heard of strawberry oil, where can I find it?

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 8

I get the LorAnn oils at a bakery supply near me. If you don't have that available to you, check the LorAnn website

https://www.lorannoils.com/c-6-super-strength-flavors-candy-oils.aspx

or you can order from Amazon or any number of other online bakery supply vendors. I use their oils and flavoring emulsions because they don't evaporate in the heat of baking and you get better "true" flavors.

Wilton has a limited number of candy oil flavors available at Michael's but I don't know if they have strawberry. I know they have traditional candy flavors like mint & cinnamon. Those are stocked with the candy making supplies. I've never used those in baking.

If you can't find the oil, you could use strawberry extract if your grocery store carries that.

Kristy

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 8

Some older walmarts sell lorann oils in their crafts section. AC Moore stores carries them (at least, the one by me does) in the candy section.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

MissCuteCupcakes Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks! I'm going to check it out today

splymale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splymale Posted 11 Jan 2011 , 1:30pm
post #7 of 8

I've made strawberry cake with a vanilla type cake recipe with cut up strawberries in it. It's super moist and doesn't keep a terribly long time, but it is delicious.

sadsmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmama Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

I've had good luck adapting the WASC recipe here on CC for strawberry cake. I use strawberry yogurt instead of sour cream and add some LorAnn strawberry flavoring oil. It's a pretty dense but moist cake. I have swirled strawberry sleeve filling into the batter but I think that was overkill.

HTH
Kristy

Kristy,
So glad I found this!
Would you say that cake is dense enough to hold up to fondant and being made as a single layered 3 tiered cake? My niece has decided she wants strawberry cake for her birthday and I already have the design done, but most flavored cakes like that I've found that are to moist and fluffy to really hold up and not cave in.
Also, do you just use the same amount of yogurt that you would sour cream? I've not used the strawberry flavor oil before. Is it pretty strong or does it take alot to get the flavor?
Thanks,
Sherri

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%