First Time Cutting With The Cricut Cake

Decorating By Taigen Updated 8 Jan 2011 , 7:19am by Cricketina

Taigen Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I just wanted to share with you my first cuttings with the cricut cake using the MTC program for the design.
This is my first attempt at cutting food with the ccake. These are made with homemade chocolate fondant with tylose added. I did some research for tips, tricks and recipes.

I found out some tricks are;
* roll out the fondant/gumpaste super thin...I used my pasta roller for this to a number 4-5. If you have a clay roller it would work too. It can be rolled thin by hand also though. This design called for the whole 12X12 to be covered so I made 3 strips in my pasta roller and layed them slightly over each other to join. I then rolled them together on the mat by hand. Remember to cut away where the rollers will be.

* make sure your mat is really coated with crisco and be VERY careful when placing the rolled fondant really will stick to where it is placed and will stretch when you try and get if off to replace it.

* to use a heat gun to dry the outer layer a didn't seem to work very well for me...still rough but workable.

* let it sit for a bit to let the outside dry a bit...this again is helpful but my first cuts came out a bit rough..but workable.

*put it in the freezer for about 10 min or so....THIS works! The cuts were sooo much better. But be warned your fondant/gumpaste may not "like" it. They will be super soft when you go to remove them.

Yesterday I did some of the tools and they were a bit rough around the edges. The original logo for the center just simply was too complex and would not cut so I reworked the design last night. Today I used the redo of the center logo and it worked great! My project was really far too large to have done in 1 cutting session. Hind site I should have used a smaller piece, freeze, cut, remove. I will remember that for next time. Even so I am very pleased with the results and anxious to try some more things icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
Now I need to bake the darn cake!! But here are the cut outs so you can see how it worked.

4 replies
Taigen Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 5

Hmmm the image didn't show up, trying again.

Well I have tried twice and they won't show up. Any suggestions?

Mickeebabe Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:57am
post #3 of 5

I've heard their having some technical problems here on cake central.

I do hope they fix it. I'd love to see what you've done.

cakeladyatLA Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 6:50am
post #4 of 5

Cricketina Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 7:19am
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much for your positive and very helpful tips re cricut cake as I have mine still in the box for a few months now because of all the troubled posts on here re cc disasters! I am going to try your tips and cross my fingers and finally get my cricut cake out of the box lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%