Rolled Fondant Plain French Vanilla Cake Cake?

Decorating By fimran Updated 7 Jan 2011 , 8:28pm by fimran

fimran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fimran Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 19

What do you think of a rolled fondant plain French vanilla cake for a birthday party? Is it going to be too plain without the filling? Should I go for a chocolate cake (without filling)?

18 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 19

I'm thinking someone doesn't want/like filling - yes?

Yes, you can have a cake with no filling - but it would depend on how high the cake tier is -
You just might find it *alot* of cake and fondant -
Which can get a bit gluggy in the mouth - iykwim.

Could you not use a jam as a filling if you don't like ganache/buttercream/other fillings - so as there is something to break the *all cake* affect/taste?

Bluehue

fimran Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 19

Actually, I am the buyer of the cake. The baker wants to charge extra for the filling and the cake is becoming way too expensive for me. He is suggesting that I go with a plain French vanilla or chocolate cake without any filling at all. I am wondering whether my guests (child's birthday party) will like such a cake. Maybe a chocolate cake without filling would work better than a French vanilla cake without filling?

Bluehue Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 19

Your kidding - icon_eek.gif - wish you had of written all of that in your first post.

You would begrudge your child a filling in his birthday cake?

Be very thankfull that your child is with you to celebrate a birthday...even if it is his first.

Have to say - i think you have your priorities all wrong.

If you can't afford filling then leave a guest or two off the list -
Who is more important in your life -

This thread has made me cross and i find it upsetting.

You figure the answer out -

Bluehue

fimran Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 19

Your reply made me laugh. Begrudge? I am paying more than $500 for this cake. The baker wants another $180 for the filling! I was just wondering whether it is worth another $180. My question was whether a chocolate cake without filling would be better than a French vanilla cake without filling.

Bluehue Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fimran

Your reply made me laugh. Begrudge? I am paying more than $500 for this cake. The baker wants another $180 for the filling! I was just wondering whether it is worth another $180. My question was whether a chocolate cake without filling would be better than a French vanilla cake without filling.

My reply made you laugh - icon_confused.gificon_surprised.gif
Your thread makeS me icon_mad.gif

Simple solution
BUY THE CAKE YOU CAN AFFORD -

And like i said earlier - your the mother - you figure it out...

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fimran

By without filling do you mean no icing or anything?

You might need a new baker. Any bakery on the planet will use regular icing between layers at no additional charge unless they are flukey.

And to have special filling (often costs more) or not (just icing no additional charge) is like getting a car with or without air conditioning. Yes or no. It's jsut how it's ordered. Round or square. Vanilla or chocolate.

And to answer your question--chocolate is better unless it's great vanilla cake.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 19

But a pricey filling might be justified if this is a sculpture or even a topsy turvy but wow it better be good for that price over 25% <faint>

fimran Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 6:40pm
post #9 of 19

Thanks for your response. Yes, I felt like fainting too. It is a two tier cake. Not topsy turvy though. Now that you mention it, he would have to have some sort of icing between layers, wouldn't he? I've never had a baker ask for extra for filling. I had initially asked for strawberry filling and he said that would cost another $180. No filling $500 something (he also asked for about $150 to deliver the cake to the venue --15 miles from his shop). Sure, I am an indulgent mother. But I'm not crazy. I've heard that the baker is very good though. Anyway, I think I'll go with the chocolate cake. NO FILLING.

Queento2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queento2 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 6:42pm
post #10 of 19

I can't let this go without posting a replay IDK, I just can't. Bluehue, your tone in your posts are VERY rude. I don't know if you maybe you lost a child and so that's where your anger is stemming from, but I still think it's uncalled for.

Now onto my answer for fimran. If it's more than one layer, then IMO, you should buy the filling. Opt for the cheapest if necessary, but get the filling. If it's single, then not. That's a lot of money for a cake for a kid, but I'm just cheap icon_lol.gif . I see you're a newbie too. I hope you're not run off by anything that was said to you.

fimran Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 19

You're right. I am a newbie. Love cakes, but no idea how one puts together one. You've got me thinking again. Argh!

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 6:51pm
post #12 of 19

I would so get some other quotes. This guy is pretty pricey sounding.

What are you getting for your $500?

Two tiers, choc or van, no filling apparently, no delivery.

Maryland is Duff country but sheesh. He could squish a little icing between there!

fimran Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 7:00pm
post #13 of 19

I can't afford Duff's cakes. His start at $1000, don't they? Maybe when my daughter gets married! I did get five quotes. And they all made me ill. Classic Bakery in MD asked for $1000 without batting an eyelid. Three others quoted $500 +. Believe me, this was the best quote. And I was mentally exhausted. So I gave up!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 7:01pm
post #14 of 19

If you are paying for a $500 cake, it will be made with more than one layer (usually around 2"/layer), I'm sure. So this baker will have to have something in between what would usually be 2 layers high, per tier. I think you need to call and find out what he will "stick" the layers together with. Also bear in mind that lots of bakers slice their layers in two - so for each tier you may find you get 4 pieces of cake and 3 of icing/filling. You need to ask him if he does this. If you get absolutely nothing but solid cake, run away and get your child a filled cake.
Perhaps they make fresh, homemade strawberry filling, and strawberries are not in season, and that is why it is expensive. Otherwise, paying 36% of the cost of the cake to have it filled is ridiculous.

fimran Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 7:07pm
post #15 of 19

Thanks, Dayti. I'm making an appointment to see him this weekend. That's a good question to ask.

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 7:25pm
post #16 of 19

First, fimran, I commend your cordial response to a very rude reception. A quote of $180 for filling would have me asking the same questions, even if my daughter screamed at the top of her lungs for strawberry filling. It has nothing at all to do w/ whether you are a mother w/ priorities straight. Sounds to me like they are! That $180 could be spent on something much more important. Good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 7:55pm
post #17 of 19

$500-$600 for a kid's birthday cake? icon_eek.gif Wow, you ARE an indulgent mother! I'm driving a car that I didn't pay that much for! icon_lol.gif How many people is this cake serving?

What is the age of the birthday child? Reason I ask is you expressed a concern over what "the guests" would like. I say if they are under 10, as long as its sweet and edible, and not a freaky flavor (like butternut pumpkin squash with nutmeg icing and a little paprika on the side!), the kids will like/eat ANYTHING. So my "bottom line" opinion on the flavor kinda falls into the "who cares?" category! (said with love and humor from a mom and a gramma who has dealt with picky kid eaters for decades!)

As a baker, I have refused to make a cake with no filling whatsoever. I've had to explain that "I need SOMETHING in there to "glue" the two layers together." If someone doesn't want filling, I think they need to go with a sheet cake. A big single layer, no filling sheet cake.

What did the baker say when you asked the price of alternate fillings, since the $180 for strawberry kinda threw you for a loop? I can see strawberry filling costing a lot at this time of year, but surely he had other options for you?

fimran Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 8:25pm
post #18 of 19

Hi, first of all, let me say that I absolutely love your photo! My daughter is turning four. The cake is the only thing that I splurged on. I am doing all the decorating myself and cooking up a storm for the 50 guests (25 kids and 25 adults). I know most people don't bother with food for adults at these birthday parties, but my Mum always did, and I intend to continue with the tradition (I intend to make 7/8 different types of appetizers). Besides, the kids' parents are also our friends. You're right the kids wont notice, but I can't bear the thought of not serving something good.

The baker didn't mention any other filling. And being the newbie I am, I didn't know to ask. But I will when I see him this weekend. Thanks for your response.

fimran Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 8:28pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks, Idocakes4fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%