Angry With Satin Ice

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 8 Jan 2011 , 4:03pm by cakesbycathy

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 3

Okay so last year I switched to FondX due to the problems with Satin Ice (dry, elephant skin, cracking).

But today I needed hot pink for a HUGE cake and I did not want to use six gallons of pink dye. So I went ahead and ordered the bright pink Satin Ice.

GRRRR!!!! I was going along covering tiers with FondX just fine but now I'm taking a break because my biceps are burning from trying to knead the stiff, cracking Satin Ice. I even kneaded some buttercream into it...I nuked it for 10 seconds...I kneaded and kneaded some more...and then finally rolled it out for the cake and immediately it started cracking at the edges of the cake. Had to drag it off, neaten the buttercream, and throw it back in the fridge for round two.

Curse you, Satin Ice!!!!! Back to the kitchen to try mixing the stuff with FondX and some pink coloring and hopefully the FondX will stabilize the Satin-junk.

If anyone tells you Satin Ice has fixed their problems....don't believe it.

2 replies
ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 3

WOW, I hate you are having so much problems with satin ice!! I do have some problems with it drying too, but I use plenty of crisco on my hands and knead in some extra while working with it. It is stiff when I get it right out the tub, but very quickly become pliable for me....but then again, I live in the South, on the Gulf Coast, so lots of heat, humidity, and moisture....maybe thats why it works so much better for me than for you? are you in a cooler/dryer climate? Maybe SI should start trying to promote more in the south!!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 3

I'm so sorry you had all those problems. How frustrating!!

I've quit using SI also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%