Topsy Turvy

Decorating By bluejeannes Updated 7 Jan 2011 , 5:53pm by ConfectionsCC

bluejeannes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluejeannes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 13

Im making my first topsy turvy cake, but it's only going to be 2 tiers..not very topsy turvy! But they only want it to feed 10 people (they started off wanting a 5 tier cake!!!) So even with the 2 tiers there's going to be more than enough cake. Any "topsy turvy" tips for me?

12 replies
FrostingKrista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostingKrista Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 13

Make sure that you put your cake in the fridge or freezer to make it cold and easier to cut the slant and hollow out (not sure of the technical term here..lol) the circle for your next layer to sit on. The piece that you slice off on the angle, lay that on top of your slant (attach with icing) icon_smile.gif It makes a sharper angle and less cake wastage icon_smile.gif Good Luck!!! I feared the Topsy Turvy, but it wasn't near as nerve wracking or complicated as I imagined it to be icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 13

This is the video I watched 100s of times before making my first topsy turvy cake, it too was only 2 tiers and it was very topsy turvy! Good luck! Post pictures when you are done icon_biggrin.gif

bluejeannes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 13

thanks for those tips.
I'll go and check out that video in a sec
ConfectionsCC - was your top tier flat? Cuz I was wondering if I should cut my top tier on an angle or keep it flat so I can put a topper on. But Im afraid if it's flat, the cake as a whole won't have the topsy turvy feel to it.

ConfectionsCC Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 13

I cut mine at an angle on top too, I should have a picture!

I used an 8in and 4in (I should have used a 6in topper, but this was only my 3rd cake ever!)

bluejeannes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 13

I deleted my last post (about sizes) because I wasn't finished watching the video and I figured I might have more questions. Anyways, here's my last post:
ok, so after watching that video, I notice how the bottom layer is smaller...for a two tier cake, what would you recommend the size of the bottom layer be, and the what size should I use for the layer on top of the bottom one? And then also...what would I use for the next tier up? Omgosh, I think this might be harder than I thought!
Another thing I noticed was that she used a toothpick so there wouldn't be air bubbles, I have never done this, and ALWAYS have trouble with air bubbles (on other things I've done), neat trick!!

ConfectionsCC - wow, what a project for only being your 3rd cake! Very adventurous! The very bottom layer of your cake was also an 8"? Did you just carve it to make it smaller? How many layers did you have for each tier?

xanikesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xanikesmom Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 13

I just did my first topsy turvey cake. I had way more cake than needed, but it was for my own son's birthday, so that was ok. For the bottom tier I did an 8 in (bottom), 9 in (middle), 10 in (top) stacked and then carved it down so it formed a taper. Then cut the slant and the hollow. The 2nd tier I did a 8 in, 6 in, 6 in and again carved it into a taper and then the slant.

Both tiers turned out wonderful up until that point, but when I stacked them the top tier sagged off and collapsed. Turned out I had the hollowed out portion off to the side too much instead of in the middle. Good note for next time!! Luckily it was for my son - and it was a good learning experience.

bluejeannes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 13

oh no, it fell? That sucks! But like you said, good learning experience! (and good advice for me too!)
My problem is that the biggest round pan that I have is a 9"...I don't have bigger pans yet (just haven't needed them) Would I do a 9" bottom, 8" middle and also 8" top then just carve it to look right? Then what sizes would I just for the top tier? If I started with a 6" it would get too small and if I started with an 8" would it look weird on top of the bottom tier?

ConfectionsCC Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 13

ConfectionsCC - wow, what a project for only being your 3rd cake! Very adventurous! The very bottom layer of your cake was also an 8"? Did you just carve it to make it smaller? How many layers did you have for each tier?[/quote]

No, I just had 3 layers of 8in, then I carved that top layer at an angle and flipped it over like the woman did in her video, I played a little with the bottom making that angle, but I was quite terrified of taking away too much cake and having it topple over! Be brave and just go for it! Its not nearly as difficult as it look! OOO Make sure you have enough support in there too! If you layers are taller than 4 in you might have a problem with them falling!!

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:32pm
post #10 of 13

I have done 3 of these and found that if you make the second tier's top the same size as the 1st tier bottom it stacks well, looks good and is stable. I used 10 inch for bottom carved the bottom of that tier down to 8 inches, used an 8in for second carved bottom to 6 in made 6 in. for top carved bottom to 4in. hth

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:32pm
post #11 of 13

Have a look at pink cake box - they have straight sides on their topsy turvey, I prefer doing it that way, I'm just not that good at perfect carving!
always done mine just from 8 inches bottom tier and 6 inches top tier.
xx

bluejeannes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:36pm
post #12 of 13

ConfectionsCC - ok, so if my layers are over 4", would you suggest that I put in a cardboard or foamboard between the layers? Like I said, I've never done anything tall like this (nothing over 2 tiers with only 2 layers each!). Where would I put the support. I see how in the video she puts dowels between each tier and then one big dowel through the whole cake...would that be enough?

brincess_b - I don't like carving either. Im always nervous I'll take too much off!! lol. I just looked at Pink Cake Box and I LOVE the way they do the topsy turvy!! I might just do that, it'd be easier! Thanks!

ConfectionsCC Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:53pm
post #13 of 13

Yea, I LOVE pink cake boxe's topsy turvy cakes! I am not sure about having a cake over 4in!! I wondered the same thing, I just made sure mine weren't too tall to begin with!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%