White Cake Problem!

Baking By Sweetlikeme Updated 16 Jan 2011 , 4:21am by tryingcake

Sweetlikeme Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 7

Okay, I have been using this white cake recipe for a while now. So far it has been great. Now all of the sudden (the past 3 times I have used it) the cake rises, spills over the sides of my pan and then has a big hole in the middle of the cake. What can I do?

6 replies
tiawanna02 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 7

Are you using mixes or is this recipe from scratch? Can you post your recipe?

Sweetlikeme Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 7

It is from scratch. This is it.

1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
3 egg whites

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Grease and lightly flour a 9-inch (23cm) square baking pan.

In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar. Beat in the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gently fold into batter.

Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake at 350 degrees F (180 C) for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto a plate or cooling rack; then chill cake in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

LindaF144a Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 7

There is nothing acidic in the batter to warrant so much baking powder. Try knocking it down to match the flour, 1 1/3 tsp, or about 1 1/2 should do it. Why it started to happen all of a sudden is hard to guess, but it could be it is over leavened.

Deeder1114 Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 7

I had the same problem recently with a box mix. I opened the oven to take a peek and both white cakes had peaked so high and the middle was gushing out of the top and spilling over the sides like a volcano. It looked more like a science project. Never has that happened before. After it was done, I simply cut the top off and it was really moist, but quite alarming.

lacey88 Posted 10 Jan 2011 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 7

do you live at a high altitude? i do and if i do not altitude adjust my recipes the same thing happens to me. the eggs must be increased. the leaveners decreased. liquids increased. and sugars decreased.

tryingcake Posted 16 Jan 2011 , 4:21am
post #7 of 7

If you've been using this recipe and all of a sudden there is an issue - and you haven't moved or gotten a new oven, I would guess it's NOT the recipe - Is the oven heating differently or distributing the air differently? If the recipe has always work ed- it's not the recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%