Advice For Pricing At My Skill Level

Business By Mommyofseven Updated 8 Jan 2011 , 5:58am by playingwithsugar

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyofseven Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 5

Up to this point I have only made cakes for family and friends. Now I am legally able to make cakes for the general public. I am starting to get questions about my prices. I live in a rural area and do not want to overcharge for my area or my abilities. However I do not want to cheat myself or the other bakers in the area. I have attempted to add some attachments of my cakes to give you an idea of my skill level. If I can't get them added I was wondering about the Nurse's Birthday cake and the diaper bag,plus the cupcake bouquets in my gallery. I understand you can not tell me what to charge but any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 5

I looked over one page of your stuff--and I did see the Nurse's cake--you are fine to charge out the whazoo. I authorize you to be the pricey chick in the neighborhood if you want.

Lots of folks won't be your customer. But you will be very surprised at those who do become your customers. These are celebration cakes right? I mean just figure, people have been waiting their entire lifetime to hit 70 and their kids and grandkids can go nuts to get them the finest cake possible. Just regular folks. Wow, Mom's hitting 70 let's pool our money and get this party started! Etc etc etc.

So you need to at a minimum not undercharge anyone--find the highest prices in your area and meet them or exceed them a bit.

Have 'a classic' line if you want that are more economical but totally go for it, Cake Buddy.

What do you respect more?
1.) something you have been given that came easy
2.) something you worked hard to get

People value value. Place your value accordingly.

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyofseven Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you for the compliment and for the advice. I agree if I value my product then others will too. I have the tendency to pick apart all the flaws and then figure a price according to them. I know if I want to enjoy this and make it a business I have to stop that lol

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:44am
post #4 of 5

Just wanted to say I agree with K8memphis! You're work is very good, feel free to charge appropriately!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:58am
post #5 of 5

First, call around to bakeries in your area and ask for pricing on regular and fondant cakes. Do not ask about cupcake bouquets, but do ask price per cupcake.

If nobody else does fondant cakes, then you have a niche market and can charge what you want. Cupcake bouquets are still relatively rare, so there's your other niche market.

Stick with things nobody can get anywhere else as often as possible. If the quality of your cake is as good as the quality of your work, you won't have any trouble getting and retaining customers.

Valentine's Day is coming, and I'm sure that the cupcake bouquets will be a hit for you, if you start marketing them now.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%