My Comments About Asking Questions

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 20 Jan 2011 , 4:47pm by playingwithsugar

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:24am
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

I've also always been amazed at the threads that go on for pages where people give exactly the same answers as everyone else who posted! Why?

I've wondered that very same thing, MANY, MANY TIMES!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:38pm
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Quote:

I've also always been amazed at the threads that go on for pages where people give exactly the same answers as everyone else who posted! Why?

so agree!
I just opened one up this morning that was a fairly simple answer (less than 10 words) and there were 15 people that stated the same thing for this person to do. I did end up posting, only because everyone told this person what to do, but not how to do it. Out of those other 15 post, no one cared to share and offer something different?

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:10pm
post #33 of 41

I agree with what all of you are saying and that is why I have been hesitating asking my question about doing a football helmet face mask.

What I want to know is how to make one and have it stable and not break. Do I put wire in it or what? So I won't say HELP...and I hope that at least a few people take the time to HELP me or give me advise on how to make one. I work full time and I an starting now to work on this and get HELP as I need it March 4th.

Thanks

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:32pm
post #34 of 41

I find when I search on here I can't find an answer ( search is not my friend on here, lol) , so the best thing is type it in google with CC in the title and it usually pops up there. thumbs_up.gif
That way, its not a question that has been beat to death..
But, I love all the help on here, there's no other like it on the web!
Jodi

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 9:03pm
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Quote:

so agree!
I just opened one up this morning that was a fairly simple answer (less than 10 words) and there were 15 people that stated the same thing for this person to do. I did end up posting, only because everyone told this person what to do, but not how to do it. Out of those other 15 post, no one cared to share and offer something different?

Sometimes I just like knowing that more than one person agrees that a certain method works. If 5 people offer 5 different methods, then the question of "what should I do?" is still wide open? But if a few people "endorse" one or two of the suggstions, that helps narrow down the choices for the person asking the question.

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyofseven Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 9:15pm
post #36 of 41

I hesitate to answer technique questions sometimes waiting for someone else with more experience to answer but as someone with so much to learn and a long way to go before I don't consider myself a newbie I always like it when someone with lots of experience answers my how to question and then someone else closer to my own abilities answers also. That way I can decide which method is closer to my own skill level. I recently posted asking about charging too. Not so much for my area but for my level of skill. I was thankful for the advice I received. I was a little taken back at the suckers comment by another member. Maybe they meant it to be funny but it didn't come across that way. Thank you again to all of you that take the time to help me and many others.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 11:29pm
post #37 of 41

I don't think I've asked any questions since coming back to the site. Well, I have, but in an already existing thread. I've posted a bunch. I just haven't had any questions to ask. I'm sure I will soon though as I'm thinking about trying a new technique. But also, I don't have many questions to ask because if you search hard enough the answers are almost always on here already.

Mommyofseven and others - don't hesitate in answering a question. That actually helps you becomes more confident in your skills. All of a sudden your brain clicks "OH!! I know that answer!!" It's an exciting day and don't deprive yourself of it. And it's awesome the first time you post an answer first and someone you really respect posts after you and says something to the affect of "I agree with Mommyofseven. yada yada" That's a huge confetti day.

I could care less about number of posts. That doesn't mean yo know anymore or less than anyone else. There are some awesome decorators that may have just joined and they are considered a newbie - obviously that doesn't mean a thing. I never even paid attention to that until today when I read someone's post about it. LOL - OH! They have number of posts under their name.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 2:11am
post #38 of 41

[quote=\\"tryingcake\\"]
Mommyofseven and others - don\\'t hesitate in answering a question. That actually helps you becomes more confident in your skills. All of a sudden your brain clicks \\"OH!! I know that answer!!\\" It\\'s an exciting day and don\\'t deprive yourself of it. And it\\'s awesome the first time you post an answer first and someone you really respect posts after you and says something to the affect of \\"I agree with Mommyofseven. yada yada\\" That\\'s a huge confetti day.
[/quote]

You bet it feels good. I remember the first time that happened, I called my dh to work! I was so proud!

and I once posted a question with an unclear title, I got a very nice pm from one of the very helpful ppl here, I think it was Indydebi, that I would get more help if I was clear. Sure enough, I am now very clear in my titles as to what I need and I get answers so quickly.... Almost as quickly as googling it, the way I was taught here on cc. I learn so much here, not just about cakes, but about communication (just spell it out, noone can read your mind), and also about computers, and even common decency- why shoudl someone have to take the time to answer your question if you can\\'t take the time to search if it has already been answered a thousand times?

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyofseven Posted 12 Jan 2011 , 12:09pm
post #39 of 41

very well said!!!

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 3:57pm
post #40 of 41

This has been one of the most helpful threads to me. I have been on here a long time, but with long times of not being active in between. I had the most difficult time searching because every time I did, I came up with a fastbrowser and it didn't go anywhere, didn't have but maybe one thing on it pertaining to CC or my topic search. I spend hours seaching thru topics because people don't specify their questions. I tried to get advice on how to search but was confused when people would answer and have loads of search results. WHERE were they getting them? Now all of a sudden I am able to search again, but I never changed anything so I have no idea what the issue was. When I emailed CC to ask, they said my browser was probably outdated. But I know next to nothing about that stuff. The advice about googling a topic and adding CC is very helpful. As for topics with a lot of "thank you" I did that so the thread would be saved and I could search my own saved topics. Is there a way to save a thread without doing this?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Jan 2011 , 4:47pm
post #41 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetideas

As for topics with a lot of "thank you" I did that so the thread would be saved and I could search my own saved topics. Is there a way to save a thread without doing this?

Hit watch this topic at the bottom left, outside the window of the last post.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%