Making Receipe's Sweet

Lounge By MissCakeCrazy Updated 7 Jan 2011 , 11:42pm by Dayti

MissCakeCrazy Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 11:00am
post #1 of 6

I try to always use less sugar in all my cakes so I am always looking for healthy alternatives. I have found out that to make my banana cake, I can get away with using less than half of the sugar it states in the receipe as the banana's are sweet enough and tastes equally as delicious. I have also found out on CC that to put crushed pineapple into a carrot cake makes it moist (I don't know if if provides sweetness though). My question is, does anyone know of anything I can use on other cakes (Chocolate and Vanilla) to make it sweeter so that I can use less sugar (obviously, the ingredient musn't overpower the taste, should be disgusied).

5 replies
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 11:05am
post #2 of 6

Applesauce is often substituted for oil--it would work for addidng sweetness too.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 6

Would you use the same quantity as you would sugar? Is it sold in the UK?

bakingpw Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 6

Just remember that sugar functions not just as sweetener but as liquefier in any recipe - it adds moisture. Baking is a science, it's not easy to replace some ingredients without effecting the entire product. I would suggest you look at some baking science info. to understand the functions of ingredients (maybe Harold McGee's website) and then experiment. Good luck - experimenting is fun!

MissCakeCrazy Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks. On CC have have also heard that some people use apple sauce instead of the fat / oil to give it moisture. I'll look into the website you have mentioned icon_smile.gif

Dayti Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 6

I think the "applesauce" they use in the US is different to the "apple sauce" found in the UK, but don't quote me on it. It is also used to replace eggs in some recipes. I tried it once...made my own apple sauce (like if I was making an apple pie, that kind of sauce, but no chunks...) - needless to say the cake came out awful. So definitely read up on it before doing any wacky experiments!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%