Please Help!!! Cake First Aid For My Sons 2Nd Birthday!!!

Decorating By noahsmummy Updated 8 Jan 2011 , 9:00am by sweettreat101

noahsmummy Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 9:47am
post #1 of 8

im having a disaster! in the process of making my sons bday cake for tomorrow.. am astarting the process of decorating my sons bday cake and its startign to slide!!1 i can see the fondant puckering on the bpttom level and the cake has a heavy lean to it! does anyone know what i can do to fix it?? or at least stop it from sliding anymore until tomorrow?? (part is at 2pm.. it is now 8.30pm[the night before] nso no time to rebake!)

will try and attach photos.. i took these after i had tried to just sort of "push" the cake upright with my hands.. if that makes sense??

anyt tips or advice much appreciated!

cannot upload photos.. it is a spiral path cake. sorry, have been having trouble getting photos to load here for a number of months now.

7 replies
noahsmummy Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 9:57am
post #2 of 8

its a stacked tier cake, two level, i used the straw/cake circle supprot system with two wooden skewers staright throught the middle.. same as i always use.

the cake had around 18 hours to settle after being stacked/filled/carved/ crumb coated.

filling not alot, did not have much filling so its a little on the stingy side.

noahsmummy Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 10:09am
post #3 of 8

please help.. im really quite desperate.......

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 8

oh u poor thing i have no idea, but I just wanted to say good luck I hope you figure it out!

Kitagrl Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 8

I would fix it the best you can and then it will stop sliding....

Sorelle Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 8

Arrgh! don't ya just hate cake crap! Your buttercream may have not been stiff enough to keep the filling from being pushed out. If this is the case you'll have to remove fondant and carefully disassemble and redo a stiffer buttercream. I've had to do this before it is a major pain, but doable. So sorry, I wish I had a simple answer.

brincess_b Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 8

You need to try and take it apart. Sounds like the support system has failed, you may be able to separate the tiers and reinsert the support, without too much damage, but you might want to re-ice the bottom tier.

Putting it in the fridge might help, but probably not, as it may now be cake supporting cake, not an icing issue.

sweettreat101 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 9:00am
post #8 of 8

Can you run a wooden dowel through the middle? Also store your cake int he fridge. I always refrigerate my cakes before delivery to stiffen things up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%