Need Ideas For Thank You Cake

Decorating By pmarks0 Updated 8 Jan 2011 , 2:54am by Mickeebabe

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 6:40am
post #1 of 12

I have been asked to make a cake for a client who has previously ordered her son's birthday cake from me as well as decorated sugar cookies at Christmas. She's asked if I can do a cake for her for a corporate event. It is a thank you to the team that completed a major project and would serve about 20-25 adults. She thinks she would like it to say "Thank You" but other than that she has no ideas. (and neither do I)

I asked about incorporating anything about the project and she doesn't think we can, so to quote her I have "carte blanche for design".

As with her previous order, she didn't know about flavour or filling (she went wit chocolate for the birthday cake with chocolate filling and vanilla buttercream) and is looking for a suggestion for something a bit more sophisticated that would have broad appeal to a larger adult crowd. I've done a WASC cake with a raspberry filling, but I'm not sure if that's something she would like, or if she's thinking more "wow".

She hasn't given me a budget and will probably go with whatever I suggest within reason.

I'm thinking an 8" square or even a 10" round....I know that 10" is too big, but there's not a lot of room on top of an 8" round. She's not adverse to fondant accents, but I have a feeling she'll balk at the cost of a fondant covered cake. My guess is her budget is more around $100-$125. I was thinking of doing the Thank You in fondant with the cricut, but other than that, my creative juices are just not flowing.

Any ideas?

TIA

11 replies
Frecklysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklysmom Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 7:02am
post #2 of 12

How about some stars in bright colors?

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 7:34am
post #3 of 12

Since you have the cricut, how about writing "thank you" is several different languages in different fonts. It's pretty simple to find translations on line.

maggie1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 12

Maggie1956 - that's a very cute cake. Are the flowers piped or made from fondant or gumpaste? My piped flowers need work. LOL

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 12

For a more sophisticated adult cake , I like red velvet (Chef Steph's) with dreamy creamy white chocolate cream cheese frosting - both are in recipes.
Perhaps you could find out what kind of team they are or what business they are in - that would help you with getting the creative juices flowing. I don't think generic thank you cakes have the same appeal....

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 12

For a "corporate" event you probably want something fairly traditional/conservative.

Maybe a bow/confetti cake? Those look really nice at smaller sizes. Like these:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1330868.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1425301.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1570908.html

You could add the letters spelling out "Thank you" around the edges or the sides.

Use the colors of the company logo, if there is one. In fact, use the logo as a design element. icon_smile.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1471598.html

Holly

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 10:06pm
post #9 of 12

I like the idea of using company colors and/or logo.
Is the team being thanked all women, all men or both? That might give you some ideas for flavors and design. If it is men you might not want to go with a foofy bow and flowers.

pmarks0 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 10:33pm
post #10 of 12

She's given me nothing really to work with. When I asked about the project, she told me that it couldn't really be incorporated. I'm thinking she doesn't want it to really have anything specific identifying the company on it.

Imagenthatnj - there are some great photos in your list. I quite like the last one.

I was talking to someone and came up with possibly making a greeting card. I think she was thinking the cake could look like one. I took it to mean making a card out of gumpaste and standing it ontop of the cake. Not sure how feasible that is. Could write thank you on the outside of the card, and great job or something similar on the inside....

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 10:48pm
post #11 of 12

Lots of folks send flowers as thank-you expressions, so how about a bunch of brightly colored flowers and "Thanks Bunches"? That doesn't sound too girlie........

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:54am
post #12 of 12

I like this idea. It would be nice in some bright colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorelle

Since you have the , how about writing "thank you" is several different languages in different fonts. It's pretty simple to find translations on line.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%