Cupcake Dilemma

Baking By Shan8789 Updated 7 Jan 2011 , 6:02am by Bluehue

Shan8789 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:45am
post #1 of 9

Hi All- Here is my issue: A woman I work with has asked me to do 200 cupcakes ("very classy style") for her daughters sweet 16. The problem is, she assumed since we are co workers that I will do it for next to nothing. I don't want to charge her like the bakeries around our area because I want her business, but I don't want to be taken advantage of. I know she doesn't have a big budget so I'm feeling terrible about pricing. The general prices are $2.75-$3.50 per cupcake (in our area) and I was thinking of asking for $1.75 each. Is this Ok? I really need fellow baker advice. Thanks much! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
Sorelle Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:59am
post #2 of 9

Be careful about selling co-worker, friends, even family discounted goodies, in my experience they assume that you be there with a great deal all the time. The word will get around that you sell Cheap cupcakes, or the word will get around that you sell good cupcakes for a reasonable price. I'd keep your regular price and because she's a friend/ co worker offer free delivery or something like that.

Sorelle Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:02am
post #3 of 9

Geez since she is having a party big enough for 200 cupcakes she can't be that bad off otherwise she throw a smaller party! Geez some peeps!

cheatize Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:03am
post #4 of 9

My advice is to consider this:
She has invited/needs 200 cupcakes
She doesn't have a big budget

She chose to invite that many. The consequence of her choice is to pay what is necessary to provide them all with a cupcake. There's no need to feel terrible. Tell her price and she can choose to hire you or not. It's not personal, it's business.

Additionally, try to remove the word "asking" from your mind. You're not asking, you're telling or informing. I know that sometimes the way I word things to myself makes all the difference in how I present myself to other people.

I hope this helps and doesn't come across as mean. I'm trying to be realistic.

Bluehue Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:23am
post #5 of 9

I'm with the others...

Wants 200 cupcakes - but doesn't want to pay your worth...pfffttttt

Amazing how people *want* that type of cake but because a co worker/friend/family is making it they think they can snatch it for next to nothing. icon_rolleyes.gif

You have two choices...

1 - tell her YOUR price - not HER price..... and stick to it.

2 - Tell her there is a icon_rolleyes.gif bakery down the road who does cheap cupcakes....

If you wish to be in business - then you have to straighten those shoulders - and portray yourself and your craft as a business - not slink away when it comes to pricing.
Be firm - polite and direct -Just tell her the price per cupcake then total price - its then her choice.

Sorry but tough love is never gentle.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

gr8yf Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:32am
post #6 of 9

If you go too cheap the feeling "What's wrong with Shan?" real competitors drop a little not 30%. Even a quarter less is a deal for her.

simplysouthern Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:33am
post #7 of 9

Arghhhh I get so so MAD when people ask or assume/expect me to lower prices or "hook them up" with a discount because we are friends or I know their mom or my husband works with someone they know........seriously people, seriously!!!! Unless you once changed my diapers, paid for my college tuition, helped me move (let's face it I owe them), listened to me cry for hours after Jimmy dumped me in 12th grade (my bff did this) or would bail me out of're paying full price!!!!!!

This woman has 200 guests, are you friggin kidding me?! If she can't pay you full price then that's on her. Once you start discounting you will NEVERRRRRRRR stop!! The guy at the Starbucks, the lady who cuts your hair, the dishwasher repairmam....not kidding it will spread like wildfire!!!

Do you're costs to make the cuppies go down because you work with her? Is it less time for you to make 200? Um no!!! You can't try to compete with local chain stores like grocery stores so don't try!! So you lower prices to keep her business but what happens when process on flour, sugar, milk, eggs, etc go up? You're gonna loose money and no way the special discount club you've created is gonna pay more, trust me on that!

Sorry not trying to be mean but I have this happen every week and I am sooooo over it! Stick to your pricing and hold tight!!!

Good luck and let us know how it all goes.

simplysouthern Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:38am
post #8 of 9

Bluehue.....I'm forever telling my kids that tough love is never gentle!! Oh and I sometimes'll thank me for it later Hahaha!!

Bluehue Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 6:02am
post #9 of 9
Originally Posted by simplysouthern

Bluehue.....I'm forever telling my kids that tough love is never gentle!! Oh and I sometimes'll thank me for it later Hahaha!!

When my DS turned 25 a few years back... he stood up at his party to thank the masses - then he turned to my direction and said...

I am what i am because of my DHA
I am who i am because of my Mums warmth - attention - guideance - her no B***S*** approach to life - and her tough love.
Thankyou Bluehue, I am very proud to be the man you see standing before you.
Then he dropped the microphone - walked over to me - picked me up and gave me a huge hug and kiss.

Then we all needed a stiff drink - lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Then another little one....and another little one after that... icon_wink.gif
Oh and a tissue..lollll

Me - i just about fell through the floor with pride

So you see - in years to come - they remeber all that you say and even thankyou for it.
Thats when you know you have done right and every sacrafice was worth it.

Love your first post - BRILLANTE thumbs_up.gif

Blue. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%