Help With Decorating With Cream Cheese Frosting

Baking By Kamstor Updated 9 Jan 2011 , 12:26am by Kamstor

Kamstor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kamstor Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:01am
post #1 of 8

I am trying to make leaves using cream cheese frosting for a sunflower cupcake and when practicing my leaves they keep breaking in the middle. I added piping gel to the cream cheese frosting and its not any better. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am not sure if my frosting is to thin and maybe I should add a little bit more powdered sugar to thicken it. Any help would be appreciated.

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 8:55am
post #2 of 8

What recipe are you using?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 10:58am
post #3 of 8

In addition to Jan's question about the recipe,
Are you using the #67 type leaf tube? Try opening up the tip--stick a knife or something in the end of it to jimmy it open a bit to get more icing flow out of the end --see if that will help too.

Kamstor Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks Ladies for your input. I am using the Decorators Cream Cheese recipe that I believe I got off of this site. I have never had trouble making leaves with buttercream so was a little shocked when I tried using the cream cheese frosting.

I am using the correct leave tip, #67 by Wilton and am considering using the Wilton 24 tip to make drop flowers in yellow around the cupcake with a brown center. Will not be the same look I was going after but that is the only other thing that I could find that would work.

If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear them. I don't usually use Cream Cheese frosting to decorate so this is giving me a challenge.

Thanks Ladies Have a great day.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 8

Did you open up the end of the tip?

You can pinch the tip of the leaf closed if the leaf splits on you.
You can dip your fingertips in cornstarch first and tap off the excess if the icing tends to stick to your fingertips.

Kamstor Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks K8Memphis for the advise. I have not tried opening the tip yet I will give that a try as well as your cornstarch suggestion later tonight when I get home. I will let you know how it goes.

Kamstor

Kamstor Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 12:24am
post #7 of 8

Hello Ladies,

Thanks again for the help, this is a picture of what I came up with. Not what I intended since she did not want buttercream. But she was happy with the final product.

Kamstor Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 12:26am
post #8 of 8

Sorry Ladies the cupcake photo will not post, however there is one in my favorites.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%